A weekend with Wayne - the finale

Rain had been forecast overnight and for once they got it right. The flap over the air vent at the top of my tent had blown loose in the night which resulted in me getting a bit of a wetting (I only discovered what had happened once the light had lifted enough to see).

Id fared better than Wayne though, who emerged from the shallow end of his tent looking a bit bedraggled and fed up. I think it's fair to say his tent had been less than watertight as well...

Owing to the rain clouds dawn was later coming than expected and we had a good chat sitting in the truck waiting for the light to lift. Those of you who know Wayne will know what good company he is so the time passed quickly. Once we could see on the green fields we slowly drove down a farm lane. As we approached some buildings I noted a head sticking out the grass in a field on our left. The buck was only 20 yards or so in the field and seemed happy to remain couched up rather than leave his dry bed. Wayne suggested he was a younger animal and asked if I minded leaving him to look for something bigger. I was more than happy to go along with whatever he wanted to do, it's his ground after all. However I was thinking bloody hell, if that's a young un I'd be interested to see one of the big lads on this spot.

We we tackled up on leaving the truck and walked back down the track. The buck was still there and Wayne got another look at him from around 30 yards away. All of a sudden we had a change of view and this buck was most definitely on the list . Up on the sticks and Wayne fired up the buttalo. The buck gave us a hard stare and eventually got to his feet for a better look at the source of the noise. This was all that was needed and a round was soon on its way. A good reaction and he was Down after a run of a few yards. Upon inspection he was a belter, certainly my best buck to date. I was over the moon!

The remainder of the morning was spent looking over some other parts of the ground. Id shot more than I could ever imagine and Wayne was obviously content to leave things at that. We had the nice experience of seeing a muntie, fallow pricket and another promising 6 point Roebuck in a 200 yard stretch of the same lane. That place is deer stalking heaven!

We packed up back at the ranch and went our separate ways. I even scored extra brownie points due to a clear motorway run and was home just as the wife was getting up.

I'll post some pictures of the heads shortly but would like to thank Wayne for his stunning generosity and good company. I've still got an outing on the fallow and one on the muntjac to come but to be honest I think I've used up all of my luck already!

novice

Attachments

• IMAG0093.jpg
    IMAG0093.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 186
  • IMAG0108.jpg
    IMAG0108.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Once again well done to both of you! Wayne is great company. I was lucky enough to see a photo of the heads in question, very nice!

Well done guys. And to Wayne for never ending generosity and help to site members. A credit to the stalking profession, good on you mate.

Well done again.

Top man to go stalking with. Great company. Always a laugh to be had.

Hopefully meet up when you're down on the fallow an munties.

ATB
Jon

Great write ups mate. It was a pleasure to take you out and thanks for your cool and accurate shooting. I really enjoyed it especially calling that doe with the buck following great fun even with two hours sleep and a leaky tent :D

Look forward to the taking you on the Fallow.

Wayne

A big Waidmannsheil to Novice and another Well Done to the always generous Mr. Davies:thumb:

My friend Wayne, your generosity is again outstanding, also I just realized, where all those nice heads will be missing next May...:eek:

I also got a bit concerned reading about this pink tent thing... Scary...:scared: But guys, what happened in the woods, may stay in the woods....:rofl:

A big Waidmannsheil to Novice and another Well Done to the always generous Mr. Davies:thumb:

My friend Wayne, your generosity is again outstanding, also I just realized, where all those nice heads will be missing next May...:eek:

I also got a bit concerned reading about this pink tent thing... Scary...:scared: But guys, what happened in the woods, may stay in the woods....:rofl:

Ha ha, Wayne mentioned that I may receive some hate mail with a German stamp on it once word of my success got round. You can rest assured that there will no doubt be plenty more fantastic trophies remaining on the ground for your next trip. It really is a special place and I count myself very lucky to have had the chance to experience it.

You're right about the pink tent though, I did do a double take when he pulled it out of the truck

Novice

I like my pink tent it matches my lipstick. :D

Michael don't know why your concerned about next year you haven't done the ****in write up form this year (again):rolleyes: done it for all your new friends:gheyfight:

Well done Wayne. That's Michael bombed outou:rofl:t.

Rob..
The problem about those May hunts is, there no long dark nights to sit along the open fire, drink Whisky and work on a lovely and intense write up, like up in lovely Scotland in January...

Wayne...

I know, and I am guilty..:oops:

Excellent write ups Novice. That is fantastic ground that has yielded some great sport. Wayne aint a bad sort :).

Just got word that the biggest buck made bronze - 111.3 cic.

Thanks again Wayne, I never even contemplated that a medal buck would be part of the deal!

Novice

Back