Info on shogun sport 2.5td

sauer

Hi guys

Looking for another motor... Not main car just a wee shoot bus etc....

Never heard much about shogun sports ....good ? bad?

Do they have 4wd low box ?

Any info greatly,received

Paul

Hi Paul,

a shogun sport is just an l200 of the same year with a slightly different body so if you look at reviews of them that will help.

Neil.

Hi nod-1
Yup looked reviews and all quite favorable regarding 4wd ability
Quoted as unrefined but I expect that for a pick up based chassis ,
I've had an d shogun SWB before , old 2.8td and loved it ... No experience of these

Was just wondering if had any owners / previous owners on here who could give actual experience
Or warnings, if there was something that the marque had that was known fault on em

Cheers
Paul

I have recently bought an absolutely immaculate example, and picked it up for peanuts.
Mines is Shogun Sport 2.5d Equipe so close to top of the range for the year.

I've had quite a few 4x4 s over the years and this is one of my favourites. . . but you need to see it as it is, it's a big heavy beast of a thing, slow but with much greater torque than the figures suggest. It feels like it could pull a house as the turbo spools up really low down the rev range, but it badly needs a sixth year. . . 60mph is fast enough for it.

Maintenance schedules are eight thousand miles, but if like me your reasonable with a spanner there is loads of space to work under the bonnet and underneath if you want to DIY.

I'm currently getting around 30mpg which I'm happy with given its size and weight. . .

Apparently many of these cars suffer from pulling to the left when they reach a certain age, mine was no different.

However there is a relatively easy fix for this and it involves adjusting camber shims at the top of the front wishbones. . . it took me about half a day to fix due to seized bolts but has completely cured the left pull, tracking needs done afterwards though.

The Shogun Sport utilises an old fashioned steering box like you would get on lorry so don't expect pin sharp steering.

I've used mine off road a few times now and have been highly impressed, not in the same league as my suzuki Jimny but its about four times heavier :)

Take your time and find a well looked after example, then sit back in comfort smiling about how little it cost you, and if you change the oil regularly expect quarter a million miles from your engine :)

Last edited:
The L200 bounces on leaf springs out back the shogun sport is somewhat more sophiscated sprung by coils on cars 2003 and younger its basically NOT a L200 far from it, i have a 2005 Sport V6 Warrior and my shooting partner has a 2005 L200 diesel.
They might look very similar and share many parts but believe me they are completely different.
I have an auto box which is great for solo lamping the machanical transfer box has 2WD, 4WD Hi and 4WD Lo selection.
The V6 is silky smooth and deathly quiet, on stubble you cant hear the engine crunching under the tyres.
It is very capable off road where i need to go coping easily with steep inclines both up and down.
Its my daily driver as well so needs to be comfortable which it is the full leather interior being very classy
i would reccomend one to anyone.

Ian.

Mate bought one and it went bang. After discussions with a mechanic apparently there was a known issue with some of them. Don't know what the problem so just check,out the forums and see if yours has the issue.

Well, now a 55 plate shogun sport owner
Had a shogun 2.8td years ago , and had a hilux surf auto,
The shogun sport not as smooth as either of the other 2 trucks, revs higher at 60mph . But feels far more torquey lower down .
Drives well , clean motor I'm chuffed.
Fingers crossed lasts a wee while

Cheers
Lads
Paul

I have a 54 plate and love it.

Keep an eye on the fuel filler pipe as they are prone to rotting.

Well, now a 55 plate shogun sport owner
Had a shogun 2.8td years ago , and had a hilux surf auto,
The shogun sport not as smooth as either of the other 2 trucks, revs higher at 60mph . But feels far more torquey lower down .
Drives well , clean motor I'm chuffed.
Fingers crossed lasts a wee while

Cheers
Lads
Paul

Hope you enjoy your sport as much as I enjoy mine, have you found anywhere to rest your left foot yet?
I'm still searching :)

😅😅😅
Duly noted already !
But I'm a short arse , so wee leg n foot rests comfortably on floor

I'm 6'2" and need to slot my foot in between the clutch and break pedal, with my knee sandwiched between the wheel and gear stick. .. Strangely enough it's quite comfortable haha.

Back