Re tattoo fad

Bavarianbrit

I am wondering if I am alone in hating the desecration of the bodies we are born with for no obvious good reason other than keeping up with the pack/rabble by having huge multicoloured tattoos on many visible body parts.
Lord knows whats hidden.
As an old fart they make me uncomfortable as it always suggests sublime aggression in a pikey kind of form to me.
I may have stirred up a hornets nest but it bothers me and had to vent the old spleen but know I cannot change the worlds direction.
Martin

I've got a couple of modest tattoos, but they're not on display and they mean something to me. I know where you're coming from though. I've nothing against them really, and it's a personal choice, but I really hate to see so many on women, in particular. Especially idiotic (to me) things like massive angels wings on their back, or garlands over their chest, or those ones on the back of the neck, or all the way up their legs. It just strikes me as a pretty daft thing to do just for the sake of fashion. And I personally don't find it at all attractive :eek:

Surely, as with any aspect of art/fashion/design it's (a) all in the eye of the beholder and (b) entirely context dependent.

Done well, by someone with a good eye and a personal reason to do it and a bit of creativity, it can be lovely. Done badly by someone with little or no aesthetic sense, no real origonality and no real personal touch, it can be appalling. Just like anything else.

You might as well get worked up about houses, cars, clothes, watches, haircuts etc etc etc. Life is too short, and if the wearer is happy, then that's really all that matters.

I've got a few too and can honestly say they were never chosen for fashion or to go along with a trend. Certain tattoos I think look bad (HMP LEWES across your knuckles) but others look amazing and as for women I am quite partial to a fit tattooed lady. Check out Kinessa Johnson and you'll get the idea ;)

And, let's not forget, there are plenty of us (myself very much included) who need no extra artwork to make the rest of the world recoil in horror!

Many years ago I had a horrendous tattoo done while falling about drunk in Canada , had it covered with a nice woodland scene with Roebuck last xmas and couldn't be happier.

I have been watching the Tattoo Nightmare series recently, where those seriously talented artists incorporate a bad scratch job into a wonderful piece of work, & some of those modern ink colours are great.

Many years ago I had a horrendous tattoo done while falling about drunk in Canada , had it covered with a nice woodland scene with Roebuck last xmas and couldn't be happier.
Yes mate you had some crazy times in Canada..... so i thought everyone would like to see that tattoo....
unicorn_tattoos_21.jpg

Surely, as with any aspect of art/fashion/design it's (a) all in the eye of the beholder and (b) entirely context dependent.

Done well, by someone with a good eye and a personal reason to do it and a bit of creativity, it can be lovely. Done badly by someone with little or no aesthetic sense, no real origonality and no real personal touch, it can be appalling. Just like anything else.

You might as well get worked up about houses, cars, clothes, watches, haircuts etc etc etc. Life is too short, and if the wearer is happy, then that's really all that matters.

As part of the pack or rabble, I could not have put it better myself.

I think the "hatred", would be better directed at the heavy smoker or the large people who frequent fast food burger bars. They are also desecrating their bodies.

Or then again, maybe just ignore the tattoos. Life's to short

Last edited:
Seriously?!
If that's all you have to get vented up about , I think you have a pretty sound lot!
I don't have massive tattoos but if others want to , hey ho go for it, many of society's most respected are covered under their clothing ....
The surgeon who saved your life ..."
You meet him on a weekend with a short sleeved T- shirt on and he's covered in tattoos.....
That make him any less the miracle worker to you?

Live n let live

Paul

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't make judgements on a person because of their tattoo(s), I'm make judgement on the tattoos. I've nothing against them as such, don't like to see people covered in them. Yes, it's a persons right to have as many as they like, but it's my right not to like it ;)

Of course smoking I can usually get away from but these tattoo things glare at me now in every walk of life/supermarket/bus lines etc and once I have observed them they seem to draw my eye which I do not want to happen, an irritant to a smooth life really.
The same thing happens to me with car door shut lines after 40 years in the automotive design business which I also do not want to happen.
I am not really internally vented up about them but they seemed to arrive in a rush at the same time as the smart phone moron phenomenon.
There that"s opened up a real hornets nest now.
Incoming!!!!!!
Martin

Of course smoking I can usually get away from but these tattoo things glare at me now in every walk of life/supermarket/bus lines etc and once I have observed them they seem to draw my eye which I do not want to happen, an irritant to a smooth life really.

Don't go to Yakuza day at the local sentō or onsen if you visit Japan then.

I am a tattoo addict i have several, a couple i think yeah that was stupid but i can hide them if i wish. I would love more and i have a other planned its just time and money and the wife that gets in the way.

Last edited:
Don't go to Yakuza day at the local sentō or onsen if you visit Japan then.

I am now working for a Japanese company and based in Bratislava.
Years ago one of the clay modellers I knew on the contracting circuit went to Japan and was put up in a nice hotel, he puts his cags on and goes down to the pool and emptied it in doublequick time. The hotel manager asked him to always wear a T shirt to hide his tattoos when he swam as the guests thought a Yakuza was swimming around.
Martin

I agree, it depends on the context, I suppose. And often tradition or heritage.

My wife, who is of the Edo from Benin City in Nigeria (famous for its "Benin Bronzes"), isn't tattooed "per se" but does have full front and part of her sides, from breast to crotch traditional "scarification". Done with a razor blade and then ash rubbed in.

Some, not all, from there have it done. A tradition once mainly connected with the Oba's (the King) and the Royal Family and the Court.

Back