Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is 7mm ammunition the same as 7x57

Is 7mm ammunition the same as 7x57

Can I have some help please I have been told that the two are the same ? Is this true ? As I can find plenty of 7mm a ammo but not a lot 7x57 ?
    Pit needs to be factory ammo .
    Many thanks

yes, if it's 7mm Mauser, .275R, 7x57 - same thing.

I think Federal boxes always state 7mm Mauser rather than 7x57.

anything else 7mm would be marked as such (ex. 7-08, 7mm Rem Mag, aso)
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

Quote Originally Posted by pietasvenatores View Post
    yes, if it's 7mm Mauser, .275R, 7x57 - same thing.
    A caution. The .275R above will be .275 Rigby, the 'anglicised' version of the the 7mm Mauser. A cartridge designation with R incorporated in it i.e. 7x57R will be a rimmed version generally for use in break-action rifles and combination guns or drillings. It is not interchangeable with the standard 7x57 Mauser.

meant .275 R(igby), not rimmed ;-)
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

I know that, you know it, but I doubt the OP with his admittedly scant knowledge of the 7mm would have.

Be a shame if he landed a box or two of the wrong one after traveling afar to get them or, even worse, discovered his error at first light with the promise of the buck or stag of a lifetime!

tom, what is your rifle?

The .275 Rigby was the first high-velocity loading of the 7x57mm Mauser. Some ammunition is loaded to a lower pressure, for the older 1893, 1894, and 1896 Mausers - for example, with a 139-gr bullet at 2,660 FPS. Federal, Remington and Winchester would be like this. So would S&B with their 175-gr load at 2,340 FPS.

Some loads are more like the .275 Rigby, with 140-gr bullet at 2,800+ FPS. Norma, RWS, Hornady Superperformance, and others would fall into this category. These are for modern actions, like the 98 Mauser, Winchester Model 70, Remington 700, Sauer, Steyr, Heym, Sako, BSA, Parker Hale, etc.

Ok to clarify , it's a Parker hale safari , 7x57.
    I bought it on a whim but really like it ! All I want it for is to take out occasionally and need some factory ammo as the rifle came with some home loaded ammo but as it as been pointed out I really shouldn't use that as I don't know who loaded etc or even what grain it is !
    I just want to knock the odd roe and fallow down with a different rifle sometimes with a bit of history .
    So any ideas on what factory ammo ?
    Many thanks

If you find a source of factory ammo I would buy all that you can. When I had a .275 I found factory ammo very hard to come by. If you make enquiries with gunshops by telephone make 100% sure that they understand what you are talking about. I had one muppet tell me that .275/7x57/7mm Mauser were just old names for the .270 Win!

Crying shame I have two boxes of norma here ready for a new home, to far away to collect and Im not heading to the south coast till December

Yes that is a shame !! Could they be sent to another RFD from yours ? I would pay ?