Is 7mm ammunition the same as 7x57

tom

Can I have some help please I have been told that the two are the same ? Is this true ? As I can find plenty of 7mm a ammo but not a lot 7x57 ?
Pit needs to be factory ammo .
Many thanks
tom

yes, if it's 7mm Mauser, .275R, 7x57 - same thing.

I think Federal boxes always state 7mm Mauser rather than 7x57.

anything else 7mm would be marked as such (ex. 7-08, 7mm Rem Mag, aso)

yes, if it's 7mm Mauser, .275R, 7x57 - same thing.

A caution. The .275R above will be .275 Rigby, the 'anglicised' version of the the 7mm Mauser. A cartridge designation with R incorporated in it i.e. 7x57R will be a rimmed version generally for use in break-action rifles and combination guns or drillings. It is not interchangeable with the standard 7x57 Mauser.

I know that, you know it, but I doubt the OP with his admittedly scant knowledge of the 7mm would have. :D

Be a shame if he landed a box or two of the wrong one after traveling afar to get them or, even worse, discovered his error at first light with the promise of the buck or stag of a lifetime! ;)

tom, what is your rifle?

The .275 Rigby was the first high-velocity loading of the 7x57mm Mauser. Some ammunition is loaded to a lower pressure, for the older 1893, 1894, and 1896 Mausers - for example, with a 139-gr bullet at 2,660 FPS. Federal, Remington and Winchester would be like this. So would S&B with their 175-gr load at 2,340 FPS.

Some loads are more like the .275 Rigby, with 140-gr bullet at 2,800+ FPS. Norma, RWS, Hornady Superperformance, and others would fall into this category. These are for modern actions, like the 98 Mauser, Winchester Model 70, Remington 700, Sauer, Steyr, Heym, Sako, BSA, Parker Hale, etc.

Ok to clarify , it's a Parker hale safari , 7x57.
I bought it on a whim but really like it ! All I want it for is to take out occasionally and need some factory ammo as the rifle came with some home loaded ammo but as it as been pointed out I really shouldn't use that as I don't know who loaded etc or even what grain it is !
I just want to knock the odd roe and fallow down with a different rifle sometimes with a bit of history .
So any ideas on what factory ammo ?
Many thanks
tom

If you find a source of factory ammo I would buy all that you can. When I had a .275 I found factory ammo very hard to come by. If you make enquiries with gunshops by telephone make 100% sure that they understand what you are talking about. I had one muppet tell me that .275/7x57/7mm Mauser were just old names for the .270 Win!

Yes that is a shame !! Could they be sent to another RFD from yours ? I would pay ?
Cheers
tom

Ok to clarify , it's a Parker hale safari , 7x57.
.... I just want to knock the odd roe and fallow down with a different rifle sometimes with a bit of history .
So any ideas on what factory ammo ?
Start with the least expensive: Prvi, Geco, Federal, Remington, Sellier & Bellot - all of them make a 139/140 grain load and a 175-gr load.
As soon as you find one that shoots well, go buy some more of the same.
But there are so many great bullets for the 7x57, you should get into reloading for it.

I would be willing to bet that your local dealers could order in some for you. I would certainly phone Steve Beatty at Ivythorn

At least two in Exeter will order in if they don't already have them on the shelf. I'm into the bigger one on Thursday so will check the current stock situation. Agree that Privi is as good as any to start with.

I would be willing to bet that your local dealers could order in some for you. I would certainly phone Steve Beatty at Ivythorn

Speak to RUAG Ammotech. They are close to you (us) and I THINK they deal with individuals if you ask nice. If not they can send to your local RFD.
All the more prestige euro brands so won't be that cheap but will be great quality.

Cheers , I think the big one has got 7mm on the shelf but they were a bit scetchy that they are the same bullet ! As the 7x57 That's why I asked here ,more knowledge on here ! If you could have a look for me that would be most appreciated !
Many thanks
tom

all the major manufactures do factory loads for 7x57 remmington box them as 7 mm mauser Im lucky enough that my local dealer always has them in stock if yours hasn,t ask him to get some in

Cheers , I think the big one has got 7mm on the shelf but they were a bit scetchy that they are the same bullet ! As the 7x57 That's why I asked here ,more knowledge on here ! If you could have a look for me that would be most appreciated !

Why am I not surprised that they don't know what they have on the shelf! :doh:

I once made the mistake of asking one of them if they had any 12 bore slugs - "yes, what size shot" was the chirpy reply", after trying, and failing to explain what a '12 bore slug' was for the third time, I gave up and went down the road and was rewarded with a few boxes of S&B at a bargain price.

I'll do the stock check for them tomorrow and post the result up.

Orion this isn't a wind up and totally true but a friend of mine once went into a local fishing/gun shop and asked what shot sizes they had in stock in 12 bore 21/2". The lady behind the counter replied in all seriousness "they are all 12 bore".

Funny thing is that her and her husband who had only just bought into an existing business didn't last long.

Back