My first litter of pups

norma 308

Alls well with my first litter of lab pups in fact I've really enjoyed it so far :eek: I've a great bitch who has been a great mother to 9 healthy pups 5 bitchs and 4 dogs .
on feeding the bitch tonight I noticed scratch marks from the pups so donned my glasses and very very carefully snipped the ends of thier claws :-| Very hard work !! I dabbed a smear of olive oil on the bitches tummy .do the more experienced kennelmen do or use anything else the pups are 10 days old and the scratching not bad but I didn't want this to get more uncomfortable than feeding 9 pups could be .
cheers Norma

Last edited:
Hi Norma. Its surprising how fast some pups claws grow, on times we have clipped some back every two weeks. We apply Aloe Vera Gel to the bitch if the scratched area if causing her discomfort. Good luck for the next 6 and a bit weeks. Gaz

Thanks guys what wormer do you recommend ,I panacoured the bitch for 20 days from the 40th to the 60 th day .
cheers doug

Thanks guys what wormer do you recommend ,I panacoured the bitch for 20 days from the 40th to the 60 th day .
cheers doug

I prefer drontal for puppies. It's a single dose one day, rather than the three over three days required for panacur. My wife (a vet) also favours it for puppies. We use panacour for bitches though.

We use Panacur 10% for three consecutive days at two, five and 8 weeks. Supposedly its kinder on the pups stomachs.

Hi It is normally liquid form, syringe required amount hold mouth open easier with help and just squeeze in. Remember one pup who absolutely hated it and would do everything to avoid it. lovely pink colour.
Jim

My pup is allergic to Drontal. He licked some off his paw and had an anaphylactic shock. Fortunately we were able to get him to the vet who gave him a steroid injection that saved his life.

Time has come for the pups to go although I am knackered from the hard work I'm still sad to see them go off their new homes .im in no hurry to repeat the process due only to not having time to think about much else but pups for two months .
not only that but the thought that you maybe putting your bitch at harm when you breed from her does become apparent when she is about to whelp !
anyway glad I've done it produced some nice dogs and kept a bitch to further my little line of workers .
norma

hello Norma, i have bred several litters of labs x spaniels and the scratching is normal, wait till there teeth come through !!. as for worming pups i use drontal suspension which is easy to administer at one mil per kilo body weight via the syringe included, they should be wormed at 2,4,6,8.10,12 weeks. we also frontline with a spray at 4 x 8 weeks, cheaper on line at pet drugs on line, frontline spray is prescription only but they do a one without.

cheers

sorry Norma !! i was still on page one, never realised you had all moved on
No worries mate down to one pup + our pup so a significant drop in chores gotta say I've become emotionally attached didn't think I would guess I'm a softy really .
norma

Back