Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 17HMR zero range

17HMR zero range

new to this so was wondering what range would be best to zero it at , it will be rabits and crows, on foot so i gurss i want to be shooting at an average of 100 yards.

i thoght if i zero At 110 it will give me perty much flat from 50 yards out to 150 , maby an inch hold over.

where do you guys have yours zeroed and what sort of drop/over are you getting at these ranges

i have just spent 50 ( 17gr BT ) rounds on the range with the 17hmr. i have it zeroed at 60 yrds, i find it shoots spot on at 100yrds aswell. i wont be shooting at much over 100yrds and i have not tested it any further than this. its a nice little round but it is still a little round that is susceptable to wind. i will try and see how it performs at longer ranges if i get a day where wind is acceptable (not very often) and let you know what i find.

thank you ,

think my ranges will be a little moer than than 100 i think becaus my neerest ground i have to walk
    i dont suffer too badly from wind ( no pun intended) so i think zeroing at 60 an inch high might be good, ill give it a try

also is your 17 moderated and if so do you find it is still quite noisy ?

yes my 17hmr is moderated, you do get the super-sonci crack over long distances but IMHO it is still quieter than a 22LR using stingers over the same distance. at close range 20 - 40yrds you carnt really hear the crack, but you do hear the SMAK when the bullet meets its target.

Is a very nice little round.

What mod you using as mine is a SAk and its still pretty noisy?

Zero at 100 and hold over 3" at 150.JMHO.~Muir

i use SAK Moderator, seems fine to me chickenman.

i would guess that Muir will be very close, if not on the money with his comment. cows are out on my range so any testing will have to wait for a while till they calm down.

Mine is zeroed at 111 yards but the first zero is 50. No need for any holdover etc: out to 125 yards. This suits me fine for rabbits.

thanks for the replys guys, i think ill be going for a zero at 111 yards

have any of you used the fedral amunition software , tells you all about the drop, fps, foot pounds, windage etc for most calibers
    you can play with all the veribles, found it quite intresting

You should be aware that 17 grainers will have a different trajectory to the 20's, Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!