Thread: Spinal cord

Spinal cord

If i wanted to make stock from the leftovers of a deer carcass should the spinal cord be removed? i.e are there any diseases/parasitic cysts associated with nerve tissue that may be tranmissable to humans? I am pretty sure there is nothing to worry about, but i was just wondering.
    Last edited by Grimbo88; 18-04-2010 at 23:52.

i know that you have to be "careful" with things such as beef and pork because we are more closely related to them, therefor there is a higher chance that we are suceptile to desieses that they may carry, ( this is why eating beef raw is not advised but other spechies are fine)i guess this is simalar for venison.

i have never made stock from venison but everything else i have used i have included the spine whole( just jointed at each vertibry) i can see no problem with using it as it will be being boild wich will kill of any diseases/parasitic systs that are in it.

personaly it woudnt phase me, as i said boil it ( i think the actual temp that most bactiria denatures is 43 degrees) and is then harmless.

( sorry for the spelling, im dyslexic)
    Last edited by rookie; 19-04-2010 at 01:45.

I've never bothered to remove spinal cords from bones when making stock... I didn't think CJD was a problem in deer?

Then again, the dog gets most of the stock and meat and he's not gone mad, well, not more mad than usual!

Petty sure there have been cases of CJD in captive antelope and maybe deer, this was due to diet asthey where fed the same as untreated protiens that led to the Mad cow crisis..

Rookie, don't think we are very closely related to cattle....

we are, were both mammels...

Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    we are, were both mammels...
    Silly me

thanks for the replies. There is a pretty nasty condition called chronic wasting disease associated with cervids in north american species apparently. it is very similar to CJD as it is thought to be transmitted through ingestion by things called prions. Prions are protien based so as Rookie mentioned they would prob be denatred by heat, but if they bother making the effort to remove cow spinal cords before consumption there must be a significance? to be honest i am not too worried about it, i have never heard of anyone contracting a degenerative nerve disease from eating deer, was just interested

As grimbo said there is a similar version to CJD in deer called chronic wasting disease. The problem with these diseases is that they are not transmitted by bacteria but by prion proteins which can be very stable to heat. This is why BSE occurred in the uk because of a change in the rendering process where the waste meat was cooked at a slightly lower temperature. This allowed the prions to survive and make there way into the food chain. The following has been copied :

134C (274F) for 18 minutes in a pressurized steam autoclave may not be enough to deactivate the agent of disease.

Boiling on the hob will therefore not deactivate these proteins. Realistically though the risk of contracting CJD is very low...........but then it is fatal so do you want to take the chance???