25.06 and 6.5x55 Dies

Nobleman

Can anyone tell me what dies i need to reload for both the 25.06 and 6.5 x 55, im looking at Redding Full Length, Neck Sizing and Seating dies, is there anything else that i need and should consider getting ?
What is the quality of factory ammunition in either calibre at the moment im presuming i would be better off reloading from the start hence the question.
Thanks

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what dies i need to reload for both the 25.06 and 6.5 x 55, im looking at Redding Full Length, Neck Sizing and Seating dies, is there anything else that i need and should consider getting ?
What is the quality of factory ammunition in either calibre at the moment im presuming i would be better off reloading from the start hence the question.
Thanks

If your reloading once fired brass, fired in the rifle you intent to shot your home loads with, or new brass.
You might not need to full lenght resize.

I can't comment on the .270 as don't own one.
However my 6.5 55 will shoot most factory ammo sub moa.
I would buy some factory ammo and see how you get on, you can always use the brass for reloading later on (geco brass is crap tho).

Obviously a new shooter/reloader? Welcome to handloading!
I would advise you buy a standard, FL sizing set. Lyman's reloading book states that they found in the course of their testing that there is no advantage in neck sizing with regards to accuracy or case life in a standard commercial rifle chamber. Full Length resizing will assure you are using brass that will fit your chamber every time offering no need for late night frantic posts about cartridges that won't chamber. I only FL resize now if possible, and prefer it over neck sizing. Take the money you would have spent on the neck sizing dies and buy a good trimmer: I like Forster.

Buy a book, read and learn it, start at minimum and work up with bullets seated to the recommended OAL. You will have trouble free, accurate shooting.~Muir

+1 on what Muir says.
Started with FL sizing, went to neck sizing with Lee Collet die/ Redding Competition neck die and LE Wilson hand dies.
Now full circle back to FL sizing again.
Spent a lot of money on equipment I didn't need but loaded, shot and learnt alot in the process.
KISS principle applies. FL sizing is the backbone of reloading education.

I would advise you buy a standard, FL sizing set. Lyman's reloading book states that they found in the course of their testing that there is no advantage in neck sizing with regards to accuracy or case life in a standard commercial rifle chamber. Full Length resizing will assure you are using brass that will fit your chamber every time offering no need for late night frantic posts about cartridges that won't chamber. I only FL resize now if possible, and prefer it over neck sizing. Take the money you would have spent on the neck sizing dies and buy a good trimmer: I like Forster.

Buy a book, read and learn it, start at minimum and work up with bullets seated to the recommended OAL. You will have trouble free, accurate shooting.~Muir

+1 on Muir. Best way forward :thumb:

I load for my .22 Hornet but have had conflicting advice about Full length and neck sizing in both calibres didnt want to buy neck sizing dies if they are not needed but had advice that i should neck size for optimum accuracy in either calibre.
I'll stick with the Full length set as suggested and will indeed buy a decent trimmer as that has been on the things to buy list for a while.

SPUD - Yep i will do Mark i need a couple of other things as well so i'll make a list and give you a ring.

Thanks.

For .25-06 I use a basic Lee set to neck size factory brass that I've fired in my rifle and a cheap Lee decapper for the dirty bits. However I use a Forster micrometer seater. I'm very happy with the results that I get with this set up. I also find IMR4831 to be outstanding on Hornady Interbond 110's and V-N560 equally good on Sierra Gameking 100's. I think there's something to be said for the original powder formulations for the 30-06 case.

Best factory ammunition I've found is Sako Gameking in 117. Remington Core-Lokt in 120gr is almost equally good. PPU 100's are awful but would put dinner on the plate at 100 and at £14:50 a box it's a steal. I've had lots of split necks in PPU and the mouths are really nasty - left almost like cookie cutters!! Hornady GMX was like releasing a herd of cats downrange.

Setting up was expensive so if you only shoot a couple of boxes a year then I'd buy factory. High quality factory .25-06 is working out about £2.40 a bang

I load for my .22 Hornet but have had conflicting advice about Full length and neck sizing in both calibres didnt want to buy neck sizing dies if they are not needed but had advice that i should neck size for optimum accuracy in either calibre.
I'll stick with the Full length set as suggested and will indeed buy a decent trimmer as that has been on the things to buy list for a while.

SPUD - Yep i will do Mark i need a couple of other things as well so i'll make a list and give you a ring.

Thanks.
I must admit that Hornet is one of the cases I still neck size. ~Muir

Back