Where can I get a sako bolt handle polished and blued..

Oli223

I have recently bought a sako finfire, it's in good condition. However the bolt handle, which unscrews is very scratched as if the previous owner has cycled the bolt with barbed wire gloves. Can anyone recommend a company or indervidual who could remove the scratches and re blue.. I have looked every where for an after market bolt handle but not found anything as nice as the original.

Any ideas welcome for a company to return the bolt to original or replacement part supplier.

Cheers

I have recently bought a sako finfire, it's in good condition. However the bolt handle, which unscrews is very scratched as if the previous owner has cycled the bolt with barbed wire gloves. Can anyone recommend a company or indervidual who could remove the scratches and re blue.. I have looked every where for an after market bolt handle but not found anything as nice as the original.

Any ideas welcome for a company to return the bolt to original or replacement part supplier.

Cheers

Might be worth posting the same question on the ukvarminting forum... there's bound to be a rifle/gunsmith near you who re-blues.... or knows someone who does.

Welcome to the Finnfire club..... lovely rifles :thumb:

Cheers

Fizz
:cool:

small enough to DIY in a scrap saucepan, just need lye, sodium nitrate and distilled water, bring it up to 130ºC and jobs a good un!

IMO this is a DIY job

no-one will be able to perfectly match the original finish or colour and any new job will always look "newer" than the rest

fine sand paper 600 grit or finer
a polishing wheel if you can't be arsed with hand work

degrease with butane lighter refill
boil in either:

neat Sodium Hydroxide - boil outside on a camping stove, steel or pyrex dish, be careful and watch it come to a rolling boil - gives a black finish.

1:10 potassium nitrate or nitrite and sodium hydroxide - gives a slightly bluer hue

pure potassium nitrate/nitrite - gives a traditional "Nitre" blue

quench in either water and immediately hose down with WD40
or
quench in oil until cool

be aware this stuff boils at upwards of 500 deg and does like to eat stuff so keep in you pan, when done it will solidify and allow storage or disposal

probabaly cost you £5-10 in materials and a bit of your time
very rewarding

Back