Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cecil the Lion Wounded by Bowhunter then killed

Cecil the Lion Wounded by Bowhunter then killed

Authorities in Zimbabwe are trying track down a Spaniard who allegedly paid park guides €50,000 (£35,000) for the chance to kill Cecil, one of Africa’s most famous lions, who was the star attraction at the Hwange national park. The creature was found skinned and headless on the outskirts of the park.

Also wearing a collar, but this lion was 13 years old, ancient for a cat, and taken legally.My only issue is that it was taken with a bow and made to suffer which is just going to Namibia on Sunday with a PH who was caught up in a "controversy" with a collared Etosha lion and then back to zim later this year so would be interested to hear the facts from the hunters surrounding this.

There's a bit on about it. It seems more of an ethical thing, in that poor old Cecil was outside the park indeed. Big enquiry going on.
    I've just had a look at AH. Lots of pages on this.
    Last edited by goathunter1; 27-07-2015 at 09:02. Reason: Update.

Shame that more controversy surrounds an African Trophy hunt again, the facts are vague but it does seem that the target animal was lured to a location specifically to be shot by the Spaniard, apparently money changed hands, permit was issued, lots of fuss, so not sure this has not been spun a little.

And again the Anti's are going mad on this. Petrol for their fire!!!

Gerrit jv Vuuren PH & Outfitter
    Bos en Dal Safaris- South Africa
    Home - Bos en Dal Safaris

It now seems that it was an American dentist!

Quote Originally Posted by Bos en Dal Safaris View Post
    And again the Anti's are going mad on this. Petrol for their fire!!!

If half of this is true then it is not just the "anti's" who are upset, let me assure you of that.

Quote Originally Posted by CWY308 View Post

If half of this is true then it is not just the "anti's" who are upset, let me assure you of that.
    I have to fully agree with CWY308 , every one has there right to an opinion , and mine is that I find it disgusting !

Well according to the ITV 6-o-clock news it was an American dentist and NOT a Spaniard.

Again the media seem to have acted with a knee jerk reaction without getting the facts straight. However I would add in my opinion if there is any foundation in the fact that this specimen Lion was tempted out of national park for a huge sum of money it is noting more than the actions of a greedy PH/Outfitter who is bringing the whole profession into disrepute and as opened the doors for the antis to poor petrol on the fire.

It would not be the first time that unethical practices have been exposed in the press, and honest, ethical, professional guides and hunters around the world need to distance themselves from these people and such practices.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to

Whilst it might not be illegal, it does n't feel very ethical to me. Why shoot a fine animal that has been the subject of a research programme for many years when there will be other equally good trophies out there with a bit of hard work.

Actually far more satisfying to hunt would be that elusive cattle taking lion and hunted the right way - on foot. I have had the privalege to have been once involved in hunting such a lion - something that I will always treasure, but not sure I want to do again.