first 6 pointer

I had been booked in with glynn for what seemed like ages but finally the weekend had arrived.I had a location to meet Glynn and we headed down to Dorset for a Friday evening stalk.After a quick scoff we set off and quickly spotted a nice 4 point buck with a doe or was it 2:oops:,something disturbed them and they disappeared for a while but eventually showed again.Unfortunately this time he appeared and never presented a safe shot until he again disappeared for the night.We crossed to another field and this time called a fox to within 15 foot of the pair of us but let him on his way.That was the last wildlife of the night.We now had a few hers drive to reading to get ready for the morning stalk before going to h4h shoot at bisley.

We arrived up reading about midnight and quickly converted my van into a bed while Glynn set up his hammock.Three hours later we were up and ready for the early stalk.We set off to the first location and after a few hrs of stalking failed to see anything so we jumped in the truck and headed off to a second location where we instantly spotted a nice buck, after a bit of glassing we worked out that he was a nice 5 pointer.Aquick sort out of rifle and gear and we were off.We hadn't been out that long before we lost the buck in some dead ground so crept quietly around the hedges to get a better look, by this point the buck had made more ground than I thought he would have and instead was slightly off to our left and spotted us and set off barking all the way out of sight:doh:.A quick cup of coffee later and we were off to bisley for the h4h shoot.After a quick chin wag I set about doing my 3 shoots.
Stalking test-appalling:oops:
Running deer-appalling:-|
Running boar-appalling:oops:
Thank god the rest of the day was a good laugh:tiphat:
Before I had chance to catch my breath we were off again for the evening stalk.The usual routine of checking gear and we were over the gate and into a field of long grass, well long to my legs anyway.Stalking the hedges for an hour or so but nothing showed so made our way to a small wooded area before crossing into a different field and then sporting a roe but no idea of sex yet.A bit more stalking and we could see it was a doe and her young.As a bit of fun we turned and walked back to see if we could get a closer look by going around the other way.After a bit of creeping about we finally got to within spitting distance and watched her for a while before she scented us and set off with her little one.The light was slowly starting to disappear so knew we had about 45 minutes left so started stalking back the way we came.For the last 15 minutes we picked a spot where I was looking one direction and Glynn was 30 metres away looking into the long grass field we had earlier crossed.
Five minutes of shootable light left and Glynn looks over my way to signal that something is there.I crep to Glynn to see a 4 point buck making his way across the field, seemed like an age before I got an opportunity of a shot but I eventually did and the buck dropped on the spot:lol:.What a great end to a great day even though by the time we hit the sack it was gone midnight and knew I was up at 4 am again:zzz:
A tap on my van was my alarm call as I dragged myself out and got ready for the last chance to get a 6 pointer.We went back to a farm we visited before and no sooner had we arrived in fact half way down the drive we bumped a nice 6 pointer that slowly walked off into the hedge and disappeared into a field.We gave it a little while before setting off in the location he was last seen.After much searching we drew a blank apart from a muntjak barking in the woods at us but the bigger didn't show itself.
We jumped back in the truck and headed off to another place where we had seen the 5 pointer the day before but this was last chance saloon as the morning was slowly going.
After about 30 minutes of staking we headed into a wheat field with lots of dead ground and slowly made our way around the edge when i spotted a buck making his way across the field, if he carried on the same direction he would come out on the path we were on about 50 yards in front of us.He had not seen us so we quickly glassed him and he was a cracking 6 pointer, at this point the adrenalin was rising and the heart rate going mad.Up on the sticks ready he stepped out the field and onto the path,glynn barked and he looked our way and just walked off!!!!!
nooooooo I'm thinking,I can't believe this, he was just out of sight and all I could see was his arse when all of a sudden Glynn starts rolling around on all fours barking and rolling in the wheat :rofl:,I did not move from my scope and unbelievably the buck turned around and started to make its way back to the path,glynn carried on his party piece until I finally had my first 6 pointer and what a great buck he was.Everything about my first 6 point buck was great from the stalk, company and the beast itself and it will forever be rememberd by me.
Big thanks to Glynn(idiot in the wheat:tiphat:) for the effort in getting my first 6 point buck.
Cheers m8
dave
Ps probably missed out loads but only just recovered

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    561.9 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Great write up and a cracking buck. Lovely spread to the antlers. I still remember my first six pointer like it was yesterday.

Last edited:
Well done on the buck mate, sounds like you deserved it, what cal/ bullet did you grass it with?

cracking write up I enjoyed reading that,

atb

kjf

Well done on the buck mate, sounds like you deserved it, what cal/ bullet did you grass it with?

cracking write up I enjoyed reading that,

atb

kjf
Evening kjf,I used a 243 with sierra 85gr hpbt,does everything I want with roe.
dave

Oi, rolling around in the corn barking is a recognised technique for buck stalking in Berkshire.
Recovery methods include wading rivers in underpants.
Shooting methods from combine harvesters.
There are many stories.

You did however spot the buck before me but I am glad we got what we came for.
Here he is now awaiting your collection and mounting on whatever wall your better half will allow:rolleyes::rofl::scared:

Stalking in the rut? 7/8/9 August available?

View attachment 59563View attachment 59564

Oi, rolling around in the corn barking is a recognised technique for buck stalking in Berkshire.
Recovery methods include wading rivers in underpants.
Shooting methods from combine harvesters.
There are many stories.

You did however spot the buck before me but I am glad we got what we came for.
Here he is now awaiting your collection and mounting on whatever wall your better half will allow:rolleyes::rofl::scared:

Stalking in the rut? 7/8/9 August available?

View attachment 59563View attachment 59564
Top man,it's looking good now.Think it's the safer option going in the loading room:scared:.
Shall try and pop up over the next few weeks.
Thanks again
dav

Great write-up.. got my first 6-pointer on Sunday and was just going to post a write up also!

Back