Varberger Bolt maintenance

JockStalk

Struggling to find out how to take apart a Varberger bolt to give it a clean. Suspecting some crud got in when a primer blew.

Any one know?

Similar design of bolt to this one.....
180640-a48a0e.jpg

IMAG0018.jpg

Last edited:
No knowledge with these but I have this (poor quality) phot:
View attachment 59584

Regards your phot, can you tell me how the bolt handle is secured? It looks like there is a retainer at the base of the handle.

Since, in the phot above, the bolt handle has been removed I would presume that that is integral to dismantling the bolt. The slot in the base of the handle, which is roughly the same diameter as the waisted section of the firing pin (aft of the spring retainer), suggest that it is the bolt handle which keeps the firing pin in place when the action is open. Obviously the rear lug on the cocking piece does this in addition when the action is closed.

However, I await being proven wrong.

Last edited:
The bolt handle is removed/simply pulled out once the bolt is uncocked using the takedown tool (Knob) that was originally supplied with the rifle.

Do you have the takedown tool?
I think I still have a takedown knob from my 717 as there was a spare in the box when I purchased the rifle.

No knowledge with these but I have this (poor quality) phot:
View attachment 59584

Regards your phot, can you tell me how the bolt handle is secured? It looks like there is a retainer at the base of the handle.

Since, in the phot above, the bolt handle has been removed I would presume that that is integral to dismantling the bolt. The slot in the base of the handle, which is roughly the same diameter as the waisted section of the firing pin (aft of the spring retainer), suggest that it is the bolt handle which keeps the firing pin in place when the action is open. Obviously the rear lug on the cocking piece does this in addition when the action is closed.

However, I await being proven wrong.

You were quite right GJ. I'm unfamiliar with taking bolts apart - so was rather nervous, but as it turns out - you were bang on.
Jim

Back