Thread: WIRE HAIRED VIZLA pup training?

WIRE HAIRED VIZLA pup training?

Hi All

Have a 6 month old WHV that i am training for general beating and retrieving. Would like to know more and learn about training him for tracking any suggestions?

get his nose on the deck from the start use larger species of deer cleave to lay a track start off with a skin from the same animal to drag a little get him interested and work up slowly don't be in a rush, any help you need just ask,enjoy your time, wayne
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Thanks for your advise, i will try him out next chance i get!

My HWHV is 2yr old now and i started him off for first 12 mths on deer stalking and deer tracking. Vizsla's tend to be late developers so don't expect too much too soon. After 12 mths i took him beating and he started pointing pheasants, woodcock etc. He is now dogging-in every morning and loves it. He picks up and retreives dead birds to hand although that took a bit of extra training at home with an emulsion roller and expert advice! The breed is a bird dog and i have to say he is stronger with birds than deer but it is a versatile breed and whilst he may not be up to BMH standard in getting his nose to the ground and following a blood trail religiously he does find the dead deer. The last roe i shot disappeared and i took him to strike and on this occasion i didn't use the harness and lead but let him off. He air scented the deer and ran in a big arc and came back behind me where he found the dead deer. I would have put money on the deer running for a distance on the line it took off on as he had seen me and went off like a rocket. The same situation applied to a pheasant runner which i thought went one way and tried to send him that way but his nose knew different. and he went off picked it. I am beginning to realise what is meant by "Trust your Dog". One last thing make training fun, Vizsla's can be moody.

Feed him the offal of any deer you get

Basically DO NOT PANIC HWVs are slow learners as they mature late and can get put off easily by a failure (never let him fail)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0766.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	545.1 KB 
ID:	61209

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    (never let him fail)
    The above words are the key with HPR's, never set a dog up to fail (should not have been in brackets!!)