Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Novice foxer - advice needed

Novice foxer - advice needed

One of the farmers whose land I occasionally stalk on has asked me for help to control foxes. We went out the other night in his pickup, him driving, me kneeling in the back resting the rifle on a bipod on the roof of the cab. My problem was that, as I scanned left to right with the nightsight, I had to keep lifting the rifle and bipod off the roof and putting it back down, or try sliding it along which made a hell of a racket. I wondered if anyone had thoughts/ suggestions for a way to rest the rifle on something on the cab roof which would make it easier to move the rifle from side to side? Any advice/ suggestions gratefully received.

Best advice is not to spot with the riflescope! Get a monocular and use that instead or use a lamp to spot

use a lamp to spot and your night scope to shoot only

Srvet is quite right, you should not be spotting with the rifle. Waving a loaded firearm around the countryside is not a good idea. The sensible thing is to get an NV spotter.

Yes, good point, thanks for that. The farmer does have a basic NV viewer of some kind which we plan to use next time, but I still anticipate having to move the rifle from side to side a bit to locate the target - it would be good to be able to do this silently.

Fit a roof bar to the pickup & add a suitably padded shooting rail on top with side bars to allow you to get a good rest for sideways shots. - Forget about the bipod.
    As previously stated don't spot using anything on a rifle -- VERY DANGEROUS BAD PRACTICE ! Especially at night ! -- Use lamp, NV or thermal held by the driver to locate fox. A good "lamp man" will help you see more foxes & can hold the lamp off to the side of the ttarget so the light doesn't scare it off as quickly. The fact that you don't have the rifle loaded up with heavy attachments means it is easier to shoot accurately & safely.
    Remember that any vision aid (or other illuminated light source) that lights up will ruin your own night vision - It takes about 20 minutes for your eyes to adapt fully & another 20 each time you look at something bright.

Leave the vehicle behind and do it on foot, as all serious foxers do.

Thanks - I have to say I've been a doing a fair bit of that too, and it's a lot more fun!

Not having NV I have used lamps for a long time, what I have done to change things up a little is a small red led spotting torch ( t20 look-a-like)
    Works a treat as you can just shadow the foxes eyes and then make a plan, Also as post "7" I am on foot, the red led has saved a lot of leg work as if the fox does move on then it saves chasing it...I learnt a good while ago it is better to not chase them and try a different plan another evening...

Stalking is very much like going to the night club

The more times you go, there is always a chance of going home with one

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

I walk miles at night, useing a Nv spotter and a longbow scope, and its great , ive done the pick up stuff, in my opinion walkings better.