Where is the best place for hunting Big sika stags

MrSinning

Can ANYONE guide me In the direction to where In the UK I Can find the biggest sika stags available.??? And ofcourse free range.

And WHO Can offer the stalking??

Cheers...

From what I have seen, New Zealand would be the place I would go for free range monster sika.

that being said, I thought my experiences in the old Caledonian forest of the highlands was out of this world.

Dorset/new forest is the best bet, several stalkers on here no doubt will have access. There are excellent sika in this area but very little commercial stalking.

No doubt they do get some big Sika in the West Country and big prices as well I would think.

However if you want a true hunting experience you cannot beat the Scottish Highlands. My area is 8000 acres with 800 acres of old Caledonian Forest that was never cut down. You can have a true hunt and take the biggest stag/s for no extra trophy fees as it is true stalking.

Below are a few heads taken off the ground over the years.

img Sika 06003.jpggregg sika031.jpggregg sika038.jpgfinnish scotland pictures 2012 281.jpg

PM me your details if you are interested. However I am fully booked for this year, but do have limited space for 2016.

Regards
Sikamalc

I'd agree with SikaMalc, for the greatest experience sika in the Scottish Highlands are unrivalled in my opinion. The Scottish Borders for slightly less dramatic scenery and slightly bigger stags - a guide with a very good reputation is Jamross65 on this site.

In Dorset one reputable commercial stalker is Paul Taylor, his email is ptaylor1965@btinternet.com he can mount a trophy for you also as is a taxidermist. This is a picture of a stag I took on another piece of ground in Dorset near Wareham. He was the 'poorest' head in a herd of six stags! http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/gallery/member-galleries/p1163-a-fine-dorset-sika-head.html

When I worked for the Forestry Commission in the New Forest (who don't let accompanied stalking there) Beaulieu estate always held good quality stags and let a few. I think Jelen might now be involved with that ground.

(I don't have any commercial link to any of the above and haven't stalked with them but have had friends who have more than once.)

ATB
Nick

Last edited:
Virtually all the medal class sika in the UK have come from Dorset, I have records of 64 gold medal stags and 45 of these came from Dorset, 8 from Lancs. (presumably Bowland) and 7 from Hampshire.

It may seem a bit pedantic, and quite possibly the Danish OP does not care, but just to note that Wicklow is not in the UK.

Virtually all the medal class sika in the UK have come from Dorset, I have records of 64 gold medal stags and 45 of these came from Dorset, 8 from Lancs. (presumably Bowland) and 7 from Hampshire.
Most deer never get measured, I have seen some very big heads taken in the south of the new forest, in them days it was best not to brag about them.:D

+1 for Dorset, ive been west and north scotland.

Youll get some nice heads off Paul Taylors and also any grounds surrounding Arne

I want to thank everyone for their many reply and advices for the sika hunting. I don´t want to let you all get the feeling that I´m only a trophy hunter and looking for Medal class stags. But I have an Idea of the hunting adventure in my head and also an Idea to how the sika should look. And I have especially seen a nice sika here on this forum that In my opinion is the ideal trophy and I have been hunting Dorset before and love the landscape.

As the poster of that photo is from Ireland, I would assume that that stag is a Wicklow sika. It doesn't really matter where you go, Sika are great fun to stalk.

Wicklow is great for Sika, Pure red are dubious due to hybridization, and I am going back 25 years. Seen a good few wee Sika stags serving red hinds and many of the Sika aren't pure, so be careful where you go for a big one.
Good heads in the Scottish Borders.

Back