What loads are you shooting forroe?

A Guy Out West

Just wondering what the most popular caliber is for roe deer hunting. Seems like a .243 would be about perfect. Also, what kind of dog is it in the picture of Leec6.5, user name. It's on the Free Deer & Boer Recovery card. Looks like Plott??? Nice looking dog and you can tell it's a hunter.
Out West guy

I've shot a lot of roe with a .243 but now use my 7x57R combi. The bullet i use is 156grn Norma Oryx. A heavy bullet for roe but i can use the same bullet for moose and boar.
The dog you ask about looks like a Hanovarian , a scent tracking dog.

.243 85gr Gameking. Excellent for roe and muntjac
.30-06/.300 WM 150 Nosler Ballistic Tip for red, sika and fallow
9.3 x 62 235gr Oryx for everything bigger!

.243 or .308 for Roe
.308 for Fallow

90 grain SP .243 Federal Powershok
150 grain SP.308 PPU or Federal Powershok

Last edited:
I use 100gr in 243 but prefer 140-165gr softpoints in 7x57 (fast killing and less meat damage).
But its honestly just a preference, both rounds do the job.
FYI - Average weights in my area around 12kg at larder.

Used my .243 with 100 grain but now find I'm using my .308 with 150 grain more often.
Wingy

As you can see, no "right" answer.

The most important thing is bullet construction vs speed. Frangible bullet at 3500 fps is going to make a real mess, lots of meat damage unless you are neck shooting, usually at the light for calibre end of the scale. 156 grain at about 2500 fps is going to punch a decent sized hole but meat damage should not be too bad - particularly reliable if you need to take quartering shots through shoulders, not as reliable as a frangible bullet if you are mainly neck shooting and you need to be very careful what's behind the beast. Other alternative is something like a Barnes bullet driven quickly in a light for calibre weight - many people swear by the combination.

I mainly use a 120 grain Nosler BT driven at 2950 fps from a 6.5 Lapua. Does the job well but still makes a bit of a mess if you go through the shoulders rather than the ribs. Am going to try the 100 grain Barnes driven at about 3200 fps to see if that's any better.

It's very much a personal preference thing.

.222 60gr Hornady Soft Points
Moving along at about 3000 fps

fall over in their shadow, eat right up to the entry/exit hole

perfect...IMO

Just wondering what the most popular caliber is for roe deer hunting. Seems like a .243 would be about perfect. Also, what kind of dog is it in the picture of Leec6.5, user name. It's on the Free Deer & Boer Recovery card. Looks like Plott??? Nice looking dog and you can tell it's a hunter.
Out West guy

The dog is not a Plott its a Bayerische Gebirgsschweißhunde (BGS) or roughly translates to Bavarian mountain blood hound .

and 270 130gn barnes ttsx for everything in uk

100gn 243 sof point and 140 gn soft point 7x65R. 243 - they run 30 yes a pile up dead. 140n knocks em over and they kick for a few seconds.

85 hp 243 then 150 gr 308 now 120 nos 6.5x47 soon 280 tba on bullets lol

if it legal and you can use it then why not use what you have lot in the uk would love to use .223 I would :hind:

.243 with 100 grain Federal PowerShok soft points. Taken 10 bucks so far since April and all have either gone down on the spot or only ran a short distance. Lovely calibre with virtually no recoil, making bullet placement easy.

Back