Thread: Merkel K1 - lovely

Merkel K1 - lovely

Last year, the Steyr Mannlicher distributor ran a sale on Merkel rifles and shotguns, and three friends of mine bought single shot packages, with Swarovski or Zeiss scopes in QD mounts.

I got out with one today. I love the Recknagel sights with the red fiber optic front bead and the three yellow fiber dots on the rear sight. Of course, the rifle shoulders and points like a fitted shotgun, sights all lined up. How quick!
    Last edited by Southern; 01-08-2015 at 22:08.

The action (Breech Block) on the Merkel K1 looks sooooo much like a Blaser K95..........Barrel fixing is different though.
    Looks like quite a nice rifle too.

Recknaler = Recknagel (& they do make some very good mounts)
    Last edited by deeangeo; 01-08-2015 at 06:50.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Yes, the Blaser K95 was the first of the modern single shot rifles we saw in the USA in the 1990s. They seemed to disappear while the Merkels became a bit available. Kreighoff single shots, doubles and combination guns are only seen in catalogs.

I like the Kreighoff style cocker / decocker on the Merkel K1. It is very shootable offhand, even being so light weight - no trouble hitting the orange center of a clay pigeon with the iron sights at 120 yards. The Swaro 3.5-10x42 with 4A reticle is a smaller and lighter package than I thought it would be - did not overpower the rifle nor make it top heavy in my hands.

When you pick up the Helix with driven sights it comes up just like a perfectly fitted shotgun - thats why I bought mine. Love it and would like a combination too.....
    Last edited by Hereford; 01-08-2015 at 22:35.
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

I had a good play with a Merkel K1 and the Bergstutzen. I think they are okay but I like the blaser K95 and BBF97 models. Not just because I own them but they feel better made. I guess that is reflected in the price.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

Blaser R93 - Retired now and probably Moshe Dayan's last choice of hunting rifles.