EE anyone used their wireless calling function

joed

My contract is about to finish and I have been thinking about moving to ee mainly as the function which allows you still to be called if you have wifi connection. I live in a dip and as such have non existent mobile coverage so this is appealing... Has anyone used it? Does it work properly?

Hi yes I have it and it does work. The audio quality is not good sometimes and if you like me have active teenager's hammering the broad band it is not usable until you kick the kids off. Role on superfast broad band that the village is supposed to be getting
One other problem.is that I have noticed that it will not work with all mobile numbers you call.

I cannot offer advice on EE but any phone you can ring using wifi with whats app, using this facility is clearer than using normal phone signal, atb wayne

I don't have an iPhone, the other thing is quite a few of my friends/colleagues don't have whatsap and I think you need to contact them to get them onto the app for the phone thing to work. My broadband is also pretty naff so I'm sure I'll face similar problems regarding bandwidth. I'm not overly fussed about calling out, more.concerned with having a few people contact me on my mobile at home when trying to do so!

Three also have wifi calling and text via an app called three in touch. Vodafone also offer a signal booster box which uses wifi to give you signal. Don't feel tide to EE! I have been quite impressed by the three app, the only issue is that when you first download it you have to register it where there's phone signal (about four miles from my house!) which I thought was daft.

I went with three simply because the were cheaper than the other providers by miles.

hope that helps.

+1 for 3 in touch. Works very well at home where the signal isn't great. Clear enough to make and receive calls, even with 3 others on the wifi and that is all I ask.

EE also provide a Signal box that works very well. Connects to your router and uses your Brad band. Better than wifi calling.

Three also have wifi calling and text via an app called three in touch. Vodafone also offer a signal booster box which uses wifi to give you signal. Don't feel tide to EE! I have been quite impressed by the three app, the only issue is that when you first download it you have to register it where there's phone signal (about four miles from my house!) which I thought was daft.

I went with three simply because the were cheaper than the other providers by miles.

hope that helps.

I was reading about various apps available...of course I didn't pay attention - however, do they work if the other person doesn't have the app? As I can tell the ee function worksexactly as if you were making a voice call. Just go to address book press call, so no need to access an app. I know it's only a small thing, but still seems preferable.

I'm also no overly impressed withs 3's lack of enthusiasm In trying to keep me as a customer!

+1 for wifi calling on Whatsapp. I've used it on tube statipns where they have wifi. Be careful though , as it uses up your data allowance

Sam

I think alot depends on how good your Internet is. I'm quite remote and the Internet is slow. No mobile signal and on poor weather days if low cloud level TV plays up. The three in touch doesn't work for me but like already been mentioned WhatsApp does. But I use viber for calls which is how I speak to my brother in Australia. Good thing about these apps is sending pictures and videos free of charge.

I was reading about various apps available...of course I didn't pay attention - however, do they work if the other person doesn't have the app? As I can tell the ee function worksexactly as if you were making a voice call. Just go to address book press call, so no need to access an app. I know it's only a small thing, but still seems preferable.

I'm also no overly impressed withs 3's lack of enthusiasm In trying to keep me as a customer!

I too haven't been bowled over by three, but they are so much cheaper than the other large suppliers I'm prepared to put up with them!

It it works exactly like a normal phone, you have to open the app and makes calls and texts through it but the person you are calling doesn't need an app and wouldn't know any difference between you using the app or using your mobile as normal.

you do need reasonably good internet speeds for it to work really well, otherwise it breaks up a bit.

My other problem, good internet speeds. Anyone else in Herefordshire sick of seeing this fastershire advertising! I think I can Sprint faster than my download speed and I take some shifting!

O2 have a wifi calling/texting app also.

Makes we wonder why they don't invest in better networks, the network coverage maps that are waved under your nose in the shop are computer generated c**p!

Back