Best breathable clothing.

Boarboy

I've put this up as I can't seem to find a jacket that really breathes.?! I'm looking for something especially for the highlands. I've tried most things but always sweat inside. Harkila and similar although tough is just too heavy. Just after ideas really. Something lightweight and breathable.

I've put this up as I can't seem to find a jacket that really breathes.?! I'm looking for something especially for the highlands. I've tried most things but always sweat inside. Harkila and similar although tough is just too heavy. Just after ideas really. Something lightweight and breathable.

Kuiu.. Uses Japanese Torex dermizax nx fabric up to 4 times as breathable as the nearest competitor (including Gore) http://www.torayentrant.com/en/products/dermizax/der_003.html.. I can attest to that.. even in a downpour the only place I get any condensation in my Yukon jacket is on some parts of the taped seams and my head.. although that is because I sweat like a pig under load!!! never had a WP/breathable that worked as efficiently before.. Also very lightweight too.

I'm sure there are other manufacturers that use Torex fabrics (my wading jacket by Guideline uses Dermizax EV) but I think Kuiu have the edje on design, engineering and quality... top shelf stuff designed to be abused in the harshest conditions!! www.Kuiu.com

Last edited:
Save yourself a fortune and buy an ex military goretex shell jacket.
I bought an olive brown Austrian army jacket and it's the only jacket I've ever owned that is actually properly waterproof AND highly breathable. . . it cost me the grand total of £40.00

How about a wool sweater, like the Beretta Windstopper? Unless it is really gusty, some light thermal undergarment under that would be good for some cool days.

Buy into the mil surplus wind proof smock with pocket sized goretex surplus jacket for when it is very wet indeed. Do a search on the hundreds of other threads on the subject, remember that it is a system and so one bit doesn't work too well without the whole system and for a few quid you are sorted. I have several of the £400 jackets and went out in the Hebrides this morning in cold mist and heavy rain and came home just now in bright sun and 19 degrees, it was the surplus wind proof smock and surplus goretex that went with me through choice and the £400 jackets simply wouldn't have done the job so well. I'm here and will probably be out on the hill almost every day until 17th October and it is unlikely i will wear anything but the surplus stuff in that time, though the big name jackets are in the wardrobe.

Have an expensive jacket from Country Covers that was supposed to be water proof, it just soaks up the water and gets very heavy. All other jackets that I have are not waterproof either so my next step will be a trilaminate Jacket from Miltec, costs a fraction of the fancy makes.
edi

Back