renewal problems

pitiliedon

Had the estate owners renewal for shotgun and firearms returned by Tayside, as he was not registered with a british GP!
Didn't seem to be an issue over the last couple of decades for the initial grant and all subsequent renewals since.
Didn't bother them a couple of years back when they insisted we build an expensive new separately alarmed gun room.

When I' ve asked if for clarification , if there has been a new law passed i'm told no and get referred to the home office website where the document is clearly labelled as guidance only and not expressly stating law.
This I think was published this march so a fairly new document
.As for the last couple of years due to work pressure and looking after grandkids he's only managed to get here in holiday time , he now doesn't qualify to register with a uk GP so come October his firearms will be held illegally if we are still unable to process his application. It does make me wonder that this legislation seems self defeating in that the certificate would be issued if he registers with a uk GP with a 5min registration appointment but a phone call to the family Doctor's practice in Switzerland, who's cared for 4 generations is not acceptable?

I wonder how many estate owners who are resident for 6mths or less may have the same issues.

Quote Human Rights legislation/Racial discrimination to FAO. He is registered with a GP, just note a UK one

IS he a member of SACS/BASC or the like - Alex at SACS would soon sort it out

It begs the question that if he doesn't qualify to be registered with a British G.P. is that because he isn't resident in this country?
If not does he qualify for a FAC or SGC or should he be using a visitors permit instead?

Long_range_rob, as a last resort that might be an option, but it would mean that the owner couldn't have access to the firearms, or use them, if the OP isn't present, far less than ideal. It is a stupid decision and a firmly worded letter to the Chief Constable might yield results.

I think it is something to do with the centralising of police forces. He falls short of the minimum 6mths here to allow him to register with a uk GP, The Gp has said that he would offer to revue his medical notes and give an opinion if that would satisfy the criteria for the police. Having disclosed everything and been granted a licence in the first place it is just galling to have to surrender it through no fault of his own. It may be that he should never have been granted a licence in the first place but hardly his fault. He used full bore rifles from the age of 14 in Africa doing call outs to wounded big cats or rogue elephants so almost 50yrs experience nowadays he,s not bothered whether he shoots a deer or not but does like being out with the rifle and the potential to take a beast if desired. Basc has been looking into it and thinks a visitors permit the way to go
He doesn't hold a permit in any other country so not sure how he could qualify for a visitors permit .

1. It may be that he should never have been granted a licence in the first place but hardly his fault.

2. He doesn't hold a permit in any other country so not sure how he could qualify for a visitors permit .

1. Probably the case.
2. Shouldn't be a problem as long as he has a sponsor (pitiliedon perhaps?).

Back