Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer stalking training

Deer stalking training

I am looking to do some deer stalking courses so that i can have a better chance at getting a job working with deer in the future. I know some people say they are not necessary but they will definitely help when applying for a job, and it is useful knowledge to have.

I understand there is DSC1 and DSC2 and maybe a pre DSC1?. Are there any more i should do or look into? I am looking to get fully kitted out with the qualifications.

I know i could probably find this information online but i thought it would be best to ask experienced deer stalkers and people who have actually attended the courses.

Thanks for your time.

-pre dsc1 ( if you want )
    - butchery and carcass prep
    -game meat handling
    -manual handling
    -forestry first aid
    -loads of other H&S certs

You might not need all of them but it'll look better

and and plenty of field experience shooting deer professionally

To be honest is not bother with Pre Dsc1 if you have any experience of Deer or Deer stalking at all. I'd save the cash and just go straight into a DSC1 course (with a bit of reading of the course material before the course it should not be too difficult).

If you are really serious about a full time job at the end of it you should look at full time courses in wildlife management or deer and game keeping. There are many colleges offering this and then topped up with DSC1 at the same time if you must but DSC is aimed at non pro stalkers so be carefull of advice given.

The DSC 1 course is probably your best start point as it will give you a good basic knowledge of deer, as well as giving you an idea of what else you can progress towards.

As mentioned there's plenty of paper to chase and I personally think that DSC1 + 2 are great. There's also an advanced deer management course on offer which goes into deer farming, biodiversity etc. Depending on your age, experience, and where you want to end up how about getting some valuable work experience / time in the field? There are a number of people / businesses out there that would exchange some exposure for hard graft. A company like Jelen for example they do deer management, manage private deer collections, live capture, deer farming, fencing and obviously training. Or possibly find out if someone is doing a park cull or a hind cull and offer help in the larder fetching and carrying. There's a lot of decent folk out there you just have to find them.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
    –Fred Bear -

Depends how far you want to go, but there are college courses like these Gamekeeping with Wildlife Management Regards JCS

As has been said, if you want to get into this professionally, go to one of the colleges offering Game & Countryside management at level 3 as a minimum as well as DSC. Sparsholt, Newton Rigg and Lackham are three colleges that have a good reputation for offering these courses. If you want any more detailed info, send me a pm with your phone number if you want a chat. ( I used to manage an estate and lecture at a local college that used to offer the level 3 courses so I have a bit of experience in this from an employers viewpoint and from the qualification side of things.) Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies. I have already done a college course doing countryside management, but it was at hartpury college and the course was very poorly planned. I still got a qualification, but don't think i learnt huge amounts.

I will go for the DSC1 and 2 and see how i get on from there i think.

Thanks again,