Thread: First Deer grassed

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries

First Deer grassed

Well it has taken some time, numerous outings, a few moments of indecision and some steep learning curves, however I finally caught up with a fallow buck today, my first deer.
    I had gone out with the intention of doing a bit of stalking before helping Barry (Elmer Fudd) with some maintenance on part of his permission. If I'm totally honest I wasn't expecting to see anything as it was drizzly wet and it got heavier and I thought with the light I had missed the best chance. I was busy scanning the area when I saw some fallow on the neighbouring estate, I looked closely and saw 3 does and 3 fawns and sat there watching them for a few minutes.

The rain got heavier and I used my raincoat as a poncho and whilst sat underneath it I thought the terrible thought of retiring to the car rather than sit out in the rain. Despite these negative thoughts I dogged it out for a bit more, at worst I'd get a bit wet and I was enjoying watching the does, fawns and the hares.

As the rain calmed down a bit more I went back to searching for the does I couldn't see them straight away but quickly found them browsing in a copse in the middle of the field.

My mind spun back to a nice Roebuck that had been caught on the stealth cam and as I had the buttalo with me, I thought no harm in trying, so I let out a few squeaks and spent a short time scanning and squeaking. Nothing was really happening and I thought it was a long shot, so back I went to doe watching, by now I couldn't see them anywhere....just then something caught my eye, my peripheral vision. I turned and saw a fallow trotting towards me....darn it, the wind was blowing in my face and I thought I was in the perfect position, unless of course something came from behind me.

Well, I couldn't do anything about it, so spent the next few seconds sexing it, it wasn't clear from its head, but I saw the necessary to make me sure it was a was then the panic set in!!

As as calmly as I could I adopted a position to allow me to track the deer with my rifle, it was moving as though it was unsure of something and whilst it didn't look at me, I was sure it had winded me as it started to move quicker, I thought another chance had passed me by, but suddenly the buck slowed and stopped - safety off, finger on trigger - off it went again....

This process happened twice more before it reached a fence and I was sure it was gone, however it stopped at the fence started to browse and presented a perfect broadside shot.

Now time started to go slowly, trigger pulled, shot went off and slam, straight to ground the buck went. A sharp reload, unusual for me as I usually forget that bit! then I watched it through scope to make sure a follow up wasn't needed.

down I went to check the deer and there it was, my first and a young buck...Barry called it small, however it was big enough to me!

Barry came over and helped with the gralloch, something I will improve with, it has now been skinned and is in the butchers..

what a day

Cheers Barry, you are a legend and I owe you big time.

This is a great site, a credit to the field sports/sporting/pastimes/hobby....whatever, I have got so much from here, met some great people and fulfilled a long term goal. Dead happy today
    Last edited by joed; 11-08-2015 at 18:44.

Well done mate, about time!!
    Great feeling, isn't it?
    I'm off down to Barry's patch next week, hopefully there's plenty more where that came from!
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY

Happy days, congrats

Well done,
    there are plenty of people who would have missed that chance, through fear of missing.
    It's great when a plan comes together.
    Let's hope that is the first of many, it does get easier the more you do, but you never loose the thrill of the chase.

Great write up Joed and a good result. It doesn't matter what size your "First Buck" is, it is one that will no doubt stay locked in your memory for a long time.
    Patience and perseverance in the rian paid off, well done!

Well done mate and thanks for the write up