Shooting vehicle.

Boarboy

I'm looking for a vehicle I want to use or convert into a shooting vehicle. Purely for night shooting rabbits and foxes, something quiet small and 4 x 4. So something like a Suzuki perhaps? Just need pointing in the right direction. Won't need to go on the road, just on farm use, so can afford to completely convert.

Vitara short wheel base

Diesel is better than petrol for economy, and if it's confined to the farm RED can be used, short wheel base turns on a pin head and has enough room with the rear seats out for all your needs and if your lucky pick,up an MOT rust bucket and set about it with a disc cutter,

Good at tyres and it will just about show anything else where to go x****ry if your a good driver like me ;) would love an old 413 with the fold down windscreen how good would that be,

Bob,

I used to have a Vauxhall Frontera 2.0 Sport which I deeply regret selling. It was perfect for shooting from as the rear roof section was held on by four quick release clips and lifted off easily for shooting from. Plus I never got it stuck in mud or snow.
I would happily have one again!
Well worth thinking about if one comes up at the right price!

I'm with Bob on this one - I had a Vitara SWB that I bought from Monkeyspanker years ago and it was a brilliant foxing and rabbiting machine.

Mine was the petrol 16v engine and ran so quietly it was like a stealth truck. With the full hi-lo box and a set of budget Kumho MT tyres, it went anywhere I pointed it, plus it was light enough to ride over the really claggy stuff rather than get bogged down in it.

I fitted mine with custom made shooting rests on both doors, stripped out all interior lights, installed a lamp through the roof etc. We ran it for years until it finally succumbed to rust.

Size of the wagon is not a factor for farm use, depends on what type of farm as if it is tied into a scheme then the stubbles are soon ripped up....
I used to shoot off a diesel wagon with a platform, not good with the engine running on a long fox. yes we turned it off but once the stubbles were turned in and no driving on the margins.
Cash permitting I would use a V8 Disco Auto on petrol (gas conversation would good but getting the gas would be hard with a wagon off road) soft ride, quiet....

Tim.243

Not sure if you get Daihatsu cars where you are, Daihatsu terrios make an awesome shooting vehicle. But you can't go wrong with a Suzuki Sierra either.

Daihatsu fortrack!
Kitted mine out got rid of back seat and put a ply table in there to rest guns on and made two brackets on the doors to shoot from.

Convertable Jimy with rear seats removed. Small very quiet petrol engine that you can't even notice when shooting, I can also barely hear mine ruiing once more than 20m away from it. Very light weight, great solid 4x4 drive system with no centre diff for great performance, smaller tyres means a bit cheaper plus narrow vehicle so easier to fit down overgrown rides and between trees etc. Main downside with a Jimny is that the wheel to axel height is lower than the bigger 4x4s so you can get stuck in very deep well used tracks but you just drive one wheel in and one out and 99% of the time this works fine. Also they're very cheap and pretty reliable for older cars.

I've got a reasonably nice 53 plate if you ever want a look around it and I don't think I'm too far from you.

My shooting car is a 200tdi defender 110 stn wagon that i have had for i think 17 of its 26 years. 198k miles, on it, and i would happily drive it any place in the uk tomorrow by just putting fuel in it and going. Unlike so many cars it is not disposable.

For shooting it has 2 alternators, 2 very large batteries that are connected via a kill switch so i can disconnect the starter battery and run all manner of lights, NV kit and screens. It has a 5 inch screen on the radio with input for the thermal and roof mounted remote IR spotter. For comfort it has heated seats and a decent heater, the sun roof is a little tight to shoot out of, though it is possible.

Parts are super cheap and though it needs a splash of waxoil every year and some maintenance from time to time what 26 year old car does not, most are probably under sheets in garages not bouncing across hills and moors. Next project is to make a gun cabinet under a false floor, as to be fair it is not particularly secure

Proper 4x4, proper diff lock, proper winch, lots of ground clearance, chunky tyres, £150 a year fully comp insurance.

Tomorrow it is taking 6 pals, 4 dogs and an argo to the end of the road and a bit beyond, before the argo has to take over, to get us to the top of the mountain, to chase grouse on the glorious 12th.

I like to think i will never sell it!

Hi Diverdave, I mirror your comments. I use an '89 110CSW which we have had for 17 years in October. I know every nut and bolt of the old girl, and would never part with her. The 200tdi which I fitted 10 years ago has never, ever, missed a beat. She is my second wife!

Hi Rupert, so a defender will work in the far south, and frozen north, basically every environment. The 200TDI is a superb engine, and i have never had a car so long, most of mine are changed after 2-3 years. I have had a series 2 and 3, a few range rovers and discoveries, but all this time i have had the defender. It is not my day to day car, but has fitted into this role from time to time. It has also been the car of choice for family holidays when lots of space or kit was required.

I took the argo out last week with the Hyundai santa fe, all very pleasant but when we entered the estate it grounded out a good few times and got stuck. it managed but just. The defender makes the same road look easy, and though it is heavier and has far chunkier tyres, does way less damage to the tracks as it simply grips and drives.

My shooting car is a 200tdi defender 110 stn wagon that i have had for i think 17 of its 26 years. 198k miles, on it, and i would happily drive it any place in the uk tomorrow by just putting fuel in it and going. Unlike so many cars it is not disposable.

For shooting it has 2 alternators, 2 very large batteries that are connected via a kill switch so i can disconnect the starter battery and run all manner of lights, NV kit and screens. It has a 5 inch screen on the radio with input for the thermal and roof mounted remote IR spotter. For comfort it has heated seats and a decent heater, the sun roof is a little tight to shoot out of, though it is possible.

Parts are super cheap and though it needs a splash of waxoil every year and some maintenance from time to time what 26 year old car does not, most are probably under sheets in garages not bouncing across hills and moors. Next project is to make a gun cabinet under a false floor, as to be fair it is not particularly secure

Proper 4x4, proper diff lock, proper winch, lots of ground clearance, chunky tyres, £150 a year fully comp insurance.

Tomorrow it is taking 6 pals, 4 dogs and an argo to the end of the road and a bit beyond, before the argo has to take over, to get us to the top of the mountain, to chase grouse on the glorious 12th.

I like to think i will never sell it!

Yes. All sounds very good. I have thought that a vehicle I can do everything with may be a better option long term??

Boarboy, to be honest, it is a great shooting car, but i am not sure it is for everyday use - everyday. It can substitute for a car from time to time, and can do anything i could ever want.
But modern cars are better, the features and safety changes are incredible.
A decent day car and an old landy is a great combination.

Diverdave; I totally agree with your comment. Although I love our old Landy, and I use her as my shooting vehicle, I also mainly run around in a 'normal car' for my non-sporting activities!

Back