police

tika.308

just wondering what the police are like in other areas around the country with deer poaching? around here it seems like they dont want to know, i have never heard of anyone ever getting nicked for it ever.every night of the week there is someone out around this way lamping deer.last night we saw 4 reds in a field off the side of the road, tonight we came past the same field and there were 10 in the same spot, as we drove a mile up the road a 4x4 with 4 blokes in with a lamp on the roof came towards us heading in the direction we had just come from.i doubt there will be at least 1 less by the time i have finished typing this out.it just pi""""es me off come on staffs police do something about it.

A,up Andy..

Theyre pretty hot on poachers here in Poole and out to the Purbecks..

The chopper is out regularly and ive been told there is a dedicated number of vehicles determined to try and stamp it out..

The chopper guided the Police in recently on an estate near me and two fellas were taken into custody..

ATB and catch up soon fella

Terry

Probably nothing would be my guess. Different agencies use different terms for the same position for whatever reasons they like.

When I first went to work at a large PD in OH, we had Captains but when a new Chief came in, he decided to change it to Commander.

Same pay, same jobs, just a different title (and alot of money out of taxpayers pockets to pay for all the things that had to be printed/made to accommodate those changes ~ it's called ego trip IMHO).

I would rather that the police would spend money chasing criminals than a few poachers catching a few deer. The use of the helicopter and dedicated police team must cost thousands for a few easy convictions.
The Government want to invest in a deer contraceptive because of the amount of Deer around and on the other hand spending thousands to catch a few poachers.
I like stalking and seeing deer but all this thread sounds of someone complaining of people playing in their sandpit. I know I will get alot of complaints on this but really it's back to the days of royalty and deer, what's mine is mine.

With the amount of Deer shot by the FC and their known reputation, they would be more of a threat to peoples stalking than a few poachers.

richie poachers are criminals very often have records as long as your arm,others use poaching as a cover whilst checking out areas to raid in linconshire Tractors are being stolen to order.
anyway taking of deer is theft a roe is worth £50ish at game dealers plus loss of income to stalker £60 per stalk trophy fee £100 stalking lease £? do I need to go on
all poaching needs to be reported if it is not on police call log it does not exsist so police do not get funding for it.even if police do not come out FOR EVIL TO FLURISH GOOD MEN NEED TO DO NOTHING.

richie poachers are criminals very often have records as long as your arm,others use poaching as a cover whilst checking out areas to raid in linconshire Tractors are being stolen to order.
anyway taking of deer is theft a roe is worth £50ish at game dealers plus loss of income to stalker £60 per stalk trophy fee £100 stalking lease £? do I need to go on
all poaching needs to be reported if it is not on police call log it does not exsist so police do not get funding for it.even if police do not come out FOR EVIL TO FLURISH GOOD MEN NEED TO DO NOTHING.

+1 Roedeered..

Totally disagree Richie..

Terry

I would rather that the police would spend money chasing criminals than a few poachers catching a few deer. The use of the helicopter and dedicated police team must cost thousands for a few easy convictions.

Hello unidentified person in an undeclared location.

You are content that poachers in my locale shoot deer in lamps at night with minor calibres, often having to use multiple rounds to bring the animal down, or run long dogs at them also at night? At the same time they are taking from the ground often key animals we have been leaving as part of our tread lightly management programme because of their genetic value to our local population? And they're stealing my part-time living as a guide and deer manager? And they're trespassing? Armed?

Since you are keen on the rights of the honest lag, do tell where you live.;)

Last edited:
I knew it would be an unpopular topic.

You have a personal financial interest in the deer so of course you would be thinking that it is the most important issue. I am arguing that there is a large population of deer that has no real chance of dissappearing and is of lower concern for use of major public funds.
Farms equipment like other companies equipment shouldn't be left about otherwise it would invalidate insurance claims making the premiums bigger for everyone, so farmers should be taking measures already to combat theft.
If the FC had their way and could shoot deer on all land surrounding plantations there would be more of a problem of suitable animals being removed from the population than a poacher.
Also poachers don't have special powers to mop up all the deer, they would only be able to take minimum numbers, less than are hit on the road or have been starved by the winter. Also once the reccession is over the incidents would naturally decrease.
I know you will all say I am wrong, but you have to look at it from the other side of the fence sometimes, I would rather the money was put into investing in our farming than paying for putting the helicopter up to catch a couple of people who will ultimately get a smacked wrist.
The cost of using a helicopter is ridiculous and the amount in the sky where I live, the south east, boils my blood to the amount of money wasted.

BTW, I am not an anti or poacher, just someone who see both sides.

Richie,

I have read your argument and really can't think of it as an argument. When a poacher is caught you may be pretty sure that it is more than someone who is taking one for the pot that gets caught. Chances are that the poacher is part of an organised criminal gang who do not not only poach but indulge in all sorts of other crimes, theft, firearms, violence, traffic you name it and it will be involved somewhere. They deprive other people of their livelihood, or at least part of it, these would be the people who get their living from taking out clients, which according to your rather sparse introduction is what you were when you went for your first deer last December. It may well be the case that you are looking at the problem from both sides but you do need a comprehensive grasp of both sides of the problem and IMHO I don't think you do.

John

Police are getting really keen round here, kicked a couple of doors in and seized half a freezer full of venison... arrested three cautioned one and that was that...

Genuine lads taking one for there own use I aint got a problem with, but the idiots who run/ shoot them and leave in the field or sell on to a game dealer then they deserve to get caught.

Leon

Well Richie, you knew it would be an unpopular post :doh:
Putting a financial value on deer by stalkers is rather an odd thing to say. True somefolk do charge to stalk, normally to cover their costs of the lease. But the first thing and foremost in any stalkers mind is the clean dispatch of any deer. POACHERS on the other hand do not give a flying S//t about how the deer dies, and of course many running dogs are used to course Muntjac and CWD. In some parts of the country it has become a real problem with bets being placed whilst the dogs course the deer.

Poachers are the lowest form of life as far as I am concerned, and the law needs tightening up to bring these people to book. Pity in some ways the penalties are not like the States.

As has already been mentioned Poachers are nothing more than common thieves, who normally whilst on the estate/farm/land go on to steal other implements, break in houses, etc. It is also common knowledge that a family of poachers in the south have just been nailed, but are out pending going to court. They have made a living out of killing deer, boar and anything else they care to shoot at, or course with their dogs. Hopefully these *******s will get their just deserts.

Sikamalc

Unless I've missed it - no mention of the danger of poached venison/game entering the foodchain and the subsequent possible risk to public health. How would that be traced back to source?

I did write a reply but the site logged me out!
Anyway it is getting personal with people going through my history.
Since December I have been on many stalks and not been sitting on the forum, i have now taken Muntjac, Roe Hinds and Bucks and Red Deer.
The police have put this as a high priority as it is low impact crime such as poaching that can hit the headlines, do you really think that organised criminal gangs are going to chase a few deer round a field to make a fortune? Police spin this line to pretend they are hitting targets when they should be arresting MP's with their bogus expense claims.
As for risk of the venison to public health, even bulls with TB go into the food chain and there is actually very little to stop any venison from going for human consumption.

Back