Obtaining permission

JockStalk

I'm not looking for easy ground or your ground. I do have a permission already an hour and a half away but would like something closer to home that I can get out on more regularly. I'll put in the legwork to try and secure this.

But when you go knocking on doors looking for permission and you get a 'yes', what is 'accepted' practice to document the permission?

Do you take a pre-prepared letter of permission with you in case you get lucky? Do you handshake and follow up with written permission? Do you take the lead or let the farmer/ landowner lead? What does it need to spell out?

Would appreciate any hints or tips.

Jim

Firstly get down on yr knees and thank the lord your prayers have been answered then just ask said landowner how theyde like things to be and then it's your turn to ask for a letter of authorisation Ect imagine you letting someone strange into yr garden to have free range your be put out if they started making demands and asking for great privalidges be just a little bit humble and doff yr cap it never hurts just my op .
norma

Yep, once you get permission dont start getting your guns out and start shooting. Im the past Ive explained that Ill return at a later time with some maps to make sure your covered and include a permission slip in that. Ive found that is self explanatory and doesnt look like you are wanting them to sign their life away

Thanks Norma - that's what I thought but strangely could find nothing on here that said such.

bk - follow up to discuss boundaries etc also makes a lot of sense, thanks

Last edited:
Hi Jim,
The way I've gone about it is, after having had a chat and thanking them, let them know that I will post a permission form and map through to them, along with an SAE. All they have to do is crosshatch the land within the boundaries, which avoids any confusion for the future, and sign the form before sticking it in the post. If I'm certain of the boundaries myself I'll do the colouring in bit and ask them just to check it. I also offer to let them know by text any time I'm going to be on the land, but quite often the farmers don't want disturbed, or they want to know the first few times so that they get to know you and then after that you're told not to bother texting in future, just get on and shoot.
All the best, and good luck in your quest!

This is how I've got mine set up (after the thanks you's etc):

The landowner prepared marked up maps showing boundaries, footpaths, roads etc - he also noted adjoining landowners names, numbers and keepers numbers (should you have a runner, see anything suspect going on etc).

We completed a form 646 and popped this into my FLD.

He prepared a permission letter, including items such as shooting in accordance with current legislation, following BDS codes of practice and respecting closed seasons. He listed species permitted to be shot and requested that a record be kept of all culls and provided to him.

I provided him with my BDS and BASC membership details for his record (insurance peace of mind).

I keep a copy of all these documents on my iphone off-line so that they can be called upon if ever needed.

We drove the permission together and discussed no-shot areas - we also agreed protocol to advise when I'm going to be there etc - informally, we agreed first carcass to him every half-dozen.

Two subsequent permissions, I have completed a lot of the above for the respective landowners, however, it didn't take long as I had a 'belt and braces' template to follow and they appreciated the attention to detail.

The main thing that has been useful (after marked up maps & residual hazards) has been the adjoining keeper contact numbers - twice this year I've been able to call them to let them know of suspicious poaching activity - this has only served to strengthen the good relations all round.

Appreciate the above appears to be a lot, however, being prepared has meant not being left wanting in the field :thumb:

This is how I've got mine set up (after the thanks you's etc):

The landowner prepared marked up maps showing boundaries, footpaths, roads etc - he also noted adjoining landowners names, numbers and keepers numbers (should you have a runner, see anything suspect going on etc).

We completed a form 646 and popped this into my FLD.

He prepared a permission letter, including items such as shooting in accordance with current legislation, following BDS codes of practice and respecting closed seasons. He listed species permitted to be shot and requested that a record be kept of all culls and provided to him.

I provided him with my BDS and BASC membership details for his record (insurance peace of mind).

I keep a copy of all these documents on my iphone off-line so that they can be called upon if ever needed.

We drove the permission together and discussed no-shot areas - we also agreed protocol to advise when I'm going to be there etc - informally, we agreed first carcass to him every half-dozen.

Two subsequent permissions, I have completed a lot of the above for the respective landowners, however, it didn't take long as I had a 'belt and braces' template to follow and they appreciated the attention to detail.

The main thing that has been useful (after marked up maps & residual hazards) has been the adjoining keeper contact numbers - twice this year I've been able to call them to let them know of suspicious poaching activity - this has only served to strengthen the good relations all round.

Appreciate the above appears to be a lot, however, being prepared has meant not being left wanting in the field :thumb:

Hears how I got mine......Ring Ring ( my phone ) Hello Tim please, this is farmer xyz, Yes Speaking, Could you give us a look around our cover strip and pens....Yes no problem, any deer around?
Yes a few about, please see to the foxes first then you are welcome to trim up a few, just text when you are going please..
Ok will do thank you...

Tim.243

Wish I regularly got phone calls asking me to come and sort out some foxes/deer/pigeons/anything! Only the last week I have been out and around certain bits of the shire to try and extend ground that I have. Soooooooo difficult and a lot of leg work involved. Especially up here it seems that farms are being split up and then a bunch of houses are put on them with their own little acreage. No doubt a horse goes on it at someone who doesn't like shooting. Not to mention there is a certain person who is buying up pockets of ground around Aberdeen as a retirement fund and won't let folk shoot it. That said I just managed to connect a bunch of places together like a jigsaw but involved knocking on at least 6 or 7 doors and a couple of visits to get less than 100 acres. Sometimes that's what you have to do though. As long as you keep at it they will come and don't get put off by the monumental amount of do-gooders up here.

If I do find someone who is willing to let me on their ground I always go up another time with the permission form to be signed. Lets them meet you a second time on their terms (rather than uninvited on their doorstep) and a good bit of time to ask any further questions. I personally just have a sheet of paper which in fairly few words says that I have permission to shoot over (insert farm name or land) which landowner/farmer resides until further notice. Get his signature and contact details at the bottom. Accompany this with a wee map (print off from google) and a red line around the boundaries and you are sorted. Leave him your details obviously.

I never offer money for shooting but always try and offer something whether it be a little farm work or venison, and a bottle at Christmas never hurts too.

Good luck in your search.

Get mine by asking if they need any vermin or deer controlled, if yes which one or both, have never asked for maps, just shown around, don,t care who the shoots the next door land not my problem, never tell the police, why would I, I have a open ticket, never ask them to sign a permission strip, if it's free why complicate things, if your payin then get a contract, but I have, met many landowners who don,t want the hassle just the cash, without the misses or tax man knowing. Perhaps the reason some people have trouble getting permission is because the want all the above.

Hears how I got mine......Ring Ring ( my phone ) Hello Tim please, this is farmer xyz, Yes Speaking, Could you give us a look around our cover strip and pens....Yes no problem, any deer around?
Yes a few about, please see to the foxes first then you are welcome to trim up a few, just text when you are going please..
Ok will do thank you...

Tim.243
:thumb:

That's just about everything covered above, but as Taff mentioned, fine if you have an open certificate, but if closed you will need to contact the police to see if it has been cleared, if not they will come out....sometime!
Not sure if the same applies in Scotland.
Cheers
Richard

I find that after a meeting and handshake it is better if you draft the letter yourself, print out two copies, ask the landowner to sign both (while you are waiting) and take one copy away for your own files. Otherwise you may have to wait a long time. The letter should of course reflect the main points you previously agreed verbally. I find this text has worked well for me, it covers the legalities, but is a lot more user-friendly than the formally worded texts available from BASC and other shooting organisations:
=============================================================================================

[FONT=&quot]Your name
and address[/FONT][FONT=&quot] dd/mm/yyyy[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dear (your name)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]SHOOTING PERMISSION[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We confirm that we have given you permission as an “Authorised Person” to control (deer/vermin/fox/wild boar) on our land.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The permission is granted under the following conditions:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Each and every visit to our land to be notified to us in advance.[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]All shooting activities to conform to the BASC, BDS and DI Codes of Practice[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]All shooting within the Law (seasons, species, calibres used etc) and according to the (your County) Constabulary imposed additional conditions on your Fire Arms Certificate.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Access to our land to conform to The Countryside Code.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]All suspected suspicious activities (trespass, fly-tipping, poaching, etc.) and incidents that may require our attention, to be reported to us.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Particular care to be taken that shooting activities do not hinder farm operations, cause disruption to our neighbours, or conflict with others shooting game and/or vermin on our land.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]If you bring a non-shooting person to help you, you will be fully responsible for their conduct. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]If you bring a shooting guest to help you this person will have to be in the possession of all legally required documents and insurance, and you have to inform us giving us the name and contact details. (However we understand you would normally operate on your own)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Your shooting activities to remain non-commercial.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]You are to be fully insured through BASC or any other Countryside organisation offering shooting insurance.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This permission may be withdrawn without notice at any time.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Yours sincerely,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]...................[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Name and address
of the landowner
[/FONT]

Back