August 12th

Well it was certainly a glorious August 12th with the weather making it even more glorious in this part of Aberdeenshire. My what a wet and cold summer we are experiencing this year. However, I am in for a good week as Monday had me out stalking for a buck with a chum on one of the estates I lease. Sadly, given the weather I have not made up my numbers so far this year but this evening I managed to connect with a rather strange three antlered chap who gave us the opportunity of a shot. See picture. Come Thursday I am off to the west coast of Scotland with Mrs Donsider for a few days so it looks as though I will be missing the end of the rut. But not to worry as I had an excellent day at the grouse yesterday in the Angus Glens thanks to a kind invitation of a good friend. My how lovely it was too. The scent of the heather, the rolling clouds and watching my spaniel working in front of me. Was there a better place to be I ask. Despite gloomy reports in this part of the world for grouse numbers we saw plenty of grouse and ending the day with 35 grouse in the bag for 7 guns. A good day was had by all. Looking forward to my red deer stalking now come October. Now off to Oban

Attachments

• DSCN3000.JPG
    DSCN3000.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCN3003.JPG
    DSCN3003.JPG
    328.2 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCN3002.JPG
    DSCN3002.JPG
    273.3 KB · Views: 142
  • photo (40).jpg
    photo (40).jpg
    521.5 KB · Views: 163
Even on a cloudy wet day, the Scottish landscape takes some beating. That is an unusual Roe Head. Was there any noticeable damage on the opposite side of his body that might have thrown the head?

Even on a cloudy wet day, the Scottish landscape takes some beating. That is an unusual Roe Head. Was there any noticeable damage on the opposite side of his body that might have thrown the head?

Hi Sikamalc,

No there wasn't but what is interesting I shot a similar buck on the same estate about 15 years ago. On the whole this estate has produced some excellent heads over the thirty years I have had the pleasure of stalking there. I have shot four golds and numerous other quality heads. The ground is upland going onto heather moorland with some forestry and agricultural ground. There is a good mixture of wildlife having seen grouse blackgame, pheasant hares and rabbits and of course some raptors too.

Is tbat bloke auditioning for the part of Widow Twanky? Come on, you all know which one I'm on about ;)
Looks like a fine day out.

Gay Gordon

Is it a dance, a frame of mind, or a Clan

12th Aug grouse are a very very overrated sport, if its hot and no wind.
They a much much better on a windy day, September October.

:D

Is tbat bloke auditioning for the part of Widow Twanky? Come on, you all know which one I'm on about ;)
Looks like a fine day out.
Hi Harry Mac,

No he is not auditioning for Widow Twanky, wrong tartan I believe.................

Anyway, just out celebrating the start of the shooting season and dressing accordingly for that special day. After all if I invited you to shoot grouse with us on August 12th would you turn up in overalls....................? No.

But you are quite right it was a grand day out and I have to say I am very fortunate to live where I do in such grand scenery with fine sport all on my door step and within my pocket.

Should you shoot with a shotgun as well as a rifle I wish you well for the season my friend.

Donsider

Back