.270 Weatherby Magnum

Tamar

My brother-in-law has been bequeathed a .270 Weatherby Magnum. It's quite a pretty rifle and has sentimental value for him. He's been given around 20 rounds with it as well as ~60 cases. Is there a UK supplier of ammunition for this calibre, and if so, what are the costs - a google search didn't throw up anything obvious. Alternatively, I've offered to reload with him. I've found some die suppliers in the US but again nothing obvious in the UK. Any ideas?

It makes a bit of a thump on firing, and a set of plugs inside a set of ear defenders is advisable:D

Does anyone else use one, or have any further information about this rather unusual round?

Hello. Garlands, at Edingale near Tamworth at oone time stocked a number fo Weatherby rifles in that maker's bespoke calibres. They may have cartridges and, I think, that Hannam's Reloading in Yorkshire also may be a source of ammunition.

I would imagine factory ammo would be prohibitively expensive IF you can find or order it

.277 bullets however are easily sourced and dies can be sent from anywhere
All the same powders for .270Win are recommended RL22, 4831, N160/165, Ramshot

http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/270-weatherby-magnum/
http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading/vihtavuori-reloading-data/relodata/5/60

Nathan knows a bit about them

.270 Weatherby Magnum

I would be surprised if is any louder than any other magnum round
I have a 300wm and it is no noisier than my .270

prospect of 130gr at 3350fps or chucking 150gr at 3100fps sounds fun!

Nosler do a 160gr Partition which would be an awesome round at the 3000fps mark
Nosler Partition Bullets 270 Cal (277 Diameter) 160 Grain Semi-Spitzer

Woodleigh do a 180gr
Woodleigh Bullets 270 Winchester (277 Diameter) 180 Grain Weldcore

enjoy

It would be interesting to know a little more about the rifle you have. The usual model is the 24" Weatherby Mk V from J P Sauer which I've tried out on the range, as it came in southpaw form.

If it's one of these the styling looks bizarre, but the Monte Carlo stock is really comfortable despite its' appearance.

The advertised ballistics are optimistic if you're handloading for it as it's nearer 3200 fps in 130gr. It's an 'ultra .270 Win' (+200 FPS) with a price tag. The factory ammo from Norma delivers another 100 fps, but the 7mm Rem Magnum outclassed & retired the .270 WBY and the 7mm WBY as soon as it appeared.

You can form .270 Weatherby cases from 7mm RM cases BTW.

My 270 wby is built on a win 70 classic action. I love it, & so do several others who constantly try to persuade me to part with it. The only projectiles lighter than 150 gr I use in it are 140 gr failsafes. Recoil is no more than a 30 06.

Sharkey

PS. Norma make the brass, even the stuff thats stamped WBY are made by norma.

Last edited:
What a great, and rapid set of responses. I was expecting a deafening silence on this! Thanks.

Perhaps it was anticipation, or perhaps the valley amplifies the shot, but it was not quiet:D

Looks like reloading is the way forward. I'll talk with the BiL about getting a press and dies (I currently use Lee Loader for .243 and .270). I've not done any case forming, so will have to look into that. I guess that 7mm RM cases are reasonably available? Thanks for the link to Wilson & Wilson.

The link to Nathan was fascinating and I'll forward it to the BiL. "...throat melting velocity of 3760fps" for 100g bullets sounds entertaining.

I'm afraid that I didn't pay much attention to the rifle itself when I saw it (barbarian, I know) but will ask him for pics and get back to you on the details.

Yeah it's pretty fast like! The only bit you struggle to get is brass and dies. Everything else is easy to get.

If you use 7mm RM brass it'll be harder to start with as you'll have to form the brass (and fire form), however it will be much cheaper and it is much easier to find. Ease of procurement and lack of cost will be welcome if you run though pressures up to get those silly velocities!!

It looks like you're OK for brass, but if you can obtain the Serial No., as well as some pics and the barrel length :cool:, perhaps Weatherby Inc can tell where (& approximately when) it was made?

I've always fancied a genuine Mark V LH in the proprietary calibre as they go together somehow. There is some info here on the different throating & twist-rate by date of manufacture, which might help in reloading.

It looks like you're OK for brass, but if you can obtain the Serial No., as well as some pics and the barrel length :cool:, perhaps Weatherby Inc can tell where (& approximately when) it was made?

I've always fancied a genuine Mark V LH in the proprietary calibre as they go together somehow. There is some info here on the different throating & twist-rate by date of manufacture, which might help in reloading.

I'm afraid it's a RH MkV. My BiL took some photos (he's a better shot with a rifle than a camera!) which I can send on to you if you PM me an email. Do you have a link for that twist-rate/throating measures?

EMA sent by PM.

The original Weatherby rifles were of a better quality than the modern stuff like Howa, and the Vanguard clone. I've got quite a lot of U.S. reference data which won't be on t'Web, so a date would provide context.;)

ATB.

Back