Binos, German glass guys, no need for you to view this.

A Guy Out West

I went to Cabela's today and they were having a super sale. They had Vortex 8.5 x 50 binos for $139. $100 off. I usually don't buy the cheap stuff, nothing less than Leupold, however, this was a no brainer. Very clear and sharp, waterproof with a lifetime guarantee. If your not rolling in it, this might be a good bino for you. A tad bit big, but for the price, it cant be beat. It's twilight here now and I just used them to see the pine cones on a Doug fir about 400 yards away.

Endfield, Tell me where I can get some German glass for $139, I'll order my plane ticket now.

When you wake up from this exotic dream you're having..........real life brings you to a sudden stop!

Top German/Austrian optics have never been cheap to buy...but then, 20 years down the line, you can still get a pretty full refurbish 'on the house'. Not stuff on the optiks damaged or scratched, you pay a little for repairs/replacement of that kind of thing, but general wear & tear will usually be replaced/refurbished at no additional cost...certainly by Swarovski and Schmidt & Bender.

They did a full external refurb FOC on my Swarovski bins last year after 19 years use. Over the years I've also sent damaged S&B and Swarovski scopes back for repair when they've been damaged after slipping/sliding/falling while out stalking.

Vortex are good glasses for the money lifetime guarantee is attractive, they will replace no questions asked . as the OP says its a no brainer for anyone on a budget, and maybe even if you are not.

I went to Cabela's today and they were having a super sale. They had Vortex 8.5 x 50 binos for $139. $100 off. I usually don't buy the cheap stuff, nothing less than Leupold, however, this was a no brainer. Very clear and sharp, waterproof with a lifetime guarantee. If your not rolling in it, this might be a good bino for you. A tad bit big, but for the price, it cant be beat. It's twilight here now and I just used them to see the pine cones on a Doug fir about 400 yards away.

All well and good but,pine cones are huge over there.

The Vortex bins are purportedly very good, for a back up set, I would certainly buy at the price, having said that, Leupold ..........................................:zzz: Thinking on a bit more on this, I would fit Bushnell over Loopy any day.

The Vortex bins are purportedly very good, for a back up set, I would certainly buy at the price, having said that, Leupold ..........................................:zzz: Thinking on a bit more on this, I would fit Bushnell over Loopy any day.

Finnbear,
Don't like Leupold? I always thought for the price they were a good value. The only time I was disappointed with them when when I bought one of their Wind River spotting scopes. It turned out to be not as clear as it should have been. My favorite binos are a pair of Leupold 7 x 33, they are small, clear, and each eye piece can be adjusted. The scope I use on my Remington 30/06 is a Leupold fixed 4 x, works like a charm. Guess I haven't been spoiled by the high end stuff.

Oh yeah, and you German glass lovers, I told you not to read this post.

Last edited:
I went to a gun show today, and this post prompted me to look through some Vortex Diamondback 10x and Viper 15x. $139.00 for the DB is a super deal. I don't care if you have the most expensive Swaros, you need some other binoculars. On a boat, you need a good pair of 7x50s with ranging stadia and a compass. Climbing in rough terrain, when you won't get more than a 700 yard look at most, why risk a $2,500 glass? Carry a Vortex, Nikon, Pentax - something you can afford to replace if you bang it on a rock or fall on top of it.

Finnbear,
Don't like Leupold? I always thought for the price they were a good value. The only time I was disappointed with them when when I bought one of their Wind River spotting scopes. It turned out to be not as clear as it should have been. My favorite binos are a pair of Leupold 7 x 33, they are small, clear, and each eye piece can be adjusted. The scope I use on my Remington 30/06 is a Leupold fixed 4 x, works like a charm. Guess I haven't been spoiled by the high end stuff.

Oh yeah, and you German glass lovers, I told you not to read this post.
;)

Ahh the glass snobs are out Winter must be on the way I have a pair of Zeiss jenoptems 10x50 a bit big and heavy but very clear in all light are top class Swaro's £1500 better.I doubt it mine cost me £40 in mint condition.

Hey is dignity park still going or did they shut that place down and move them on ? I'll stick with my leicas geovids thanks.

I Carry a Vortex, Nikon, Pentax - something you can afford to replace if you bang it on a rock or fall on top of it.

Vortex will replace the binos you dropped or fell on for free... no need to afford anything but postage

Last edited:
Ahh the glass snobs are out Winter must be on the way I have a pair of Zeiss jenoptems 10x50 a bit big and heavy but very clear in all light are top class Swaro's £1500 better.I doubt it mine cost me £40 in mint condition.

Had mine from new probably 40 years ago?
Not so good since the OH dropped then on to the quay at Watchet, tough certainly with no breakages, still slightly twisted despite repair.

Vortex is good stuff for the money, low and mid end glass has really come on in the last 10-15 years from what I have looked through.

I am a Zeiss man personally, I like nice things. :)

I don't look down on good kit of whatever flavour however and think it short-sighted of other to do so. :)

Vortex is good stuff for the money, low and mid end glass has really come on in the last 10-15 years from what I have looked through.

I am a Zeiss man personally, I like nice things. :)

I don't look down on good kit of whatever flavour however and think it short-sighted of other to do so. :)

You can help the short sighted with good glass!:lol:

Back