Muntjac wounds

Lightyear

Folks,

Not something I had actually seen until taking this boy last night, but having always been wary of the tusks I was really quite shocked at the degree of wounding this chap had sustained during a confrontation...

Cheers & ATVB

Philip

PS with Gold photo added !

Attachments

• Aug Munty 4.jpg
    Aug Munty 4.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 267
  • Aug Munty 5.jpg
    Aug Munty 5.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 274
  • Aug Munty Gold.jpg
    Aug Munty Gold.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Jesus, that’s some buck. Please let us know if you have it scored? I have seen similar wounds on bucks before, nasty.
ATB
Paul

they do have enormous very sharp fangs though !

Yes, but whereas with muntjac, they often seem to be broken off, the same doesn't seem to be as prevalent for CWD, so I suspect they're more for show. And they certainly don't have the really thick skin on the shoulders and neck that muntjac bucks do, presumably as a countermeasure.

I have not ever shot a CWD, but have always thought Munties were rather hard little fellows able to punch above their size and weight !

Oh I don't think that was done by a muntjac. More likely one of those leopards descended from ones released from captivity that you see all the time these days.

Tell me that when you've stood in a pitch black field and your red led picked up bright yellow eyes stalking towards you, and then you realise you left your rifle leaning against a wall several yards away. :doh:

It makes you doubt the naysayers !

When do they loose there velvet ?

About now. I've shot several this last week which are just clean. They cast around May once they get into a cycle after their first head.
They are some fairly hefty wounds he's sustained there though! I notice he has a broken tooth on the side that can be seen. If the other side is the same then he is rather unarmed and would do better to go into retirement gracefully. Wounds like that could easily get fly-strike at this time of year and be the finish of him. The ears usually take a good shredding on older bucks too.
MS

Has anyone witnessed them scrapping to actually see how this type of wound happens? (not what causes them which is obvious).

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBwQtwIwAGoVChMIvY299pqxxwIVYozbCh08dADX&url=http%3A%2F%2Fm.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvsEPWKjwHcg&rct=j&q=muntjac%20fight&ei=IGbSVb39BeKY7ga86IG4DQ&usg=AFQjCNGUNLUHk_SZnrikOrHMcsZOr92DAw&sig2=IU4P2yr5ehJdROhuhaOtbA

In theory, that should be a link to a you tube clip of two bucks fighting.

I have spent a lot of time in good muntjac country but I have never seen any proper fighting.

I did hear what sounded like two cape buffalo scrapping in some really thick woodland once but it was probably only muntjac!

I have often seen injuries like the ones in the photo both fresh and as healed scars.

Having seen injuries like this I have always been very reluctant to let my dog off the long lead when tracking a wounded buck.

Last edited:
Has anyone witnessed them scrapping to actually see how this type of wound happens? (not what causes them which is obvious).

They are very nasty little creatures! About 2 years ago, I heard a pitiful scream from a muntjac fawn which must have been grabbed by a fox. I never saw it or the mother, but the fox them burst out of the brambles with a VERY angry muntjac buck in hot pursuit! He was clearly slashing away at the hind quarters of Charlie who was running for his life! I don't know what injuries he sustained but wouldn't be surprised if they weren't fatal as foxes don't seem to heal very well. If he'd stopped the fox I've no doubt he would have killed it.
We also had a chap knocked over by a Muntjac whilst beating. It got tangled in his breeks and eventually broke free. The chap got up and realised he was cut quite badly on his inner thigh. Thankfully they got him in a truck and to hospital which was only 10 minutes away but he'd lost quite a lot of blood. When they stitched him up they said that the cut was quarter of an inch from his femoral artery which would have bled him out in minutes few!:eek::scared: I deal with lots of Muntjac RTA's but I would never attempt to dispatch a muntjac buck with a knife! Treat them with great respect or they will hurt you badly!!!!!!
MS

Back