One for the reloaders

shakey jake

Trying to understand load data, I'm new to this why when I look on one web site does it list powders I can't find or bullets I haven't got?
I have a 243 I asked a question before but struggled to find components.
I bought 80gr Sierra SBT loaded 20 with ramshot big game a mates powder data from Sierra down load found a load that clover leafed went to get powder none available for 6 to 9 week's!
So bought 100gr Sierra spitzer and hunter powder now looking on westerns data sheet who make the powder they list hunter for 100gr but don't list any Sierra 80gr loads for there powders!
Can I use data for other 80gr bullets if not who works out loads and how?
I haven't done any thing dangerous yet and don't want to
Cheers in advance for any advice
Jake

have you tried reloaders nest?
I use vihta vouri powder and use the lapua load data. If there isn't the data for the specific bullet I am using I use the next closest weight of bullet data that they do have.
Otherwise I google the bullet and powder and see if I can find a few places to start.
Not very scientific and probably not very safe so I'm not advising you do the same :eek:

Another Internet Reloading Student?? Have you tried reading a book on reloading which would answer your questions fully within the text?? :rolleyes: ~Muir

Ramshot has data for the 80gr Nosler BT - that will work fine. Let us know how you get on.

Another Internet Reloading Student?? Have you tried reading a book on reloading which would answer your questions fully within the text?? :rolleyes: ~Muir
I borrowed a mates book and read it but it was old can you recommended a book I should use.

Lee - Modern Reloading & Lymans latest manual. Both full of good info. There are lots of others too...Mainly I'd use both these for reference.
Propellant manufacturers also provide useful data, but much of it will be listed in the Lee manual, only the very latest info since publication will not be listed.

+1

There are no shortcuts when reloading...get it wrong and "guess" the powder/bullet combo and the quickest shortcut will be to A&E to have bits of rifle removed from your face!

As has been aired on this site before the internet is a great source of (additional) info but build up from the basics first. Start with tried and tested combos and build your understanding of the whole process before embarking on what a mate or some Tinterweb "Expert" has suggested works well in his rifle.

Look at the Berger, Nosler or Speer reloading manuals to start...They all give a broad cross section of powders per bullet weight!

Good luck and STAY SAFE! ;)

There is no one book that will give you what you wNt and list every powder / bullet combo .
As said read book for the basics till you have the sequence & idea about what your doing settled firmly in your mind
THEN , start looking at recipes for what you want ,
If you have a powder in mind look their website or book for the required powder & bullet weight Max & min loads then work up ,

What you look for depends largely on what you can get your hands on from your local RFD / shop ,

Paul

Read at least two (Current in date) separate reloading theory books, then read them again, then keep them close to hand whilst starting to reload, try to get a competant club reloader who has good proven experience, to physically show you the ropes with your own equipment & components, If you follow the rules/guidance, you will have safe to use ammunition, If you disregard them, you and others around you will likely suffer.

jake lee modern reloading is a good book alaso the speer reloading book have a look on you tube for videos on reloading
atb tom

http://www.loaddata.com it costs a small amount each year for access but then gives you access to all powder and bullet manufacturers up to date data... it also contains information on thousands of home and wildcat loads..

Invaluable resource for the reloader and all in one place... can search by calibre, powder mftr, bullet weight etc.

http://www.loaddata.com it costs a small amount each year for access but then gives you access to all powder and bullet manufacturers up to date data... it also contains information on thousands of home and wildcat loads..

Invaluable resource for the reloader and all in one place... can search by calibre, powder mftr, bullet weight etc.

X2 , additionally , invest in some current reloading manuals .......... and welcome to the club .

AB

Jake. I have a Speer #13 that you can have for free if you want to collect it. I am just south of Peterborough, so depending upon where you are in the fens as to whether it is worth your while. It is a bit of a lump to post.

Back