.22 Air Rifle pellet found in my Roe Buck

Brithunter

Just eating a nice bit of saddle off that Roe Buck from last week and I found something hard. Turned out to be a .22" waisted air rifle pellet :eek:. Poor bugger it was in deep too :mad:.

Not suprised, air rifles need to be licenced like firearms. too may muppets about with air rifles. i have found air rifle pellets in my poultry, pheasants, partridge, ducks and even foxes i have shot.

Skipp.

What on earth is someone going to achieve by shooting an air rifle at a deer??

Could they have even began to think that they might kill it???

What a complete muppet!!

Another day when i'm suprised about what some people will do!!:evil: Perhaps i am naive??

That's ridiculous:mad:, everyone knows you need the penetration of a .177 to kill a deer humanely!:rolleyes:
I'm often finding shotgun pellets and rimfire bullets in animals.
Senseless wounding!:(

There are more than a few keen gardeners who use air rifles to keep roe and munties off their prize roses etc. I do not think that many people realise how powerful air rifles can be, having been shot with one myself when I was a kid, I do! And then of course there are the muppets that do it to see what happens.

I started shooting with an air rifle and I am not sure that I think licensing is the answer, just a selective cull ;)

ft

Hi All,
Duggers and myself were out after Muntjac last week,he shot a very nice beast but when i started skinning it all the way down the saddle and left flank were these shotgun pellets,and judging by the size of them i reckon they were 6 shots.I reckon this lad had a run in possibly with a pidgeon shooter.It never ceases to amaze me,that supposibly responsable shooters think that they can have a pot at deer with a shotgun,and wonder why it dose'nt drop on the spot.They are not responsable,and they dont understand that it is futile to try and shoot any deer with such light shot!!.In the past they have used aaa buck shot,but half these so called sportsman dont know this.What they need to see is some of the deer and the state of them,where they have been peppered and the wounds are full of flies and going rotten on the poor beast.then maybe they would understand.
Regards,
Ian 308.

I did wonder I it was a Rose grower? even said so to Mother who is "supposed" to be a keen gardener......................... Only when it's warm and dry ;).

Anyway the pellet was in deep so it was from a decent powered one to get that penetration.

As we know legislation won't stop the criminals nor the morons.

I used to know the butcher lads in our local Game dealer and they used to collect all the bits and pieces they found in the deer.Every now and then I would get a box full of scrap metal .You can immagine the assortment I would get ! And yes I did get a crossbow bolt!! (head plus 2 inches of alluminium shaft .) Airgun pellets often ,chrome BB,s? etc etc .
I just wish I had kept them all .
They also gathered up shattered bones that had knitted together and bones with bullets still in them that had healed again .All interesting stuff at the time .
If you know the guys well its worth asking them to collect for you ,then turn up to collect then every few months(with a few cans of beer ).

On a similar topic - shot a Stag last season that had previously been hit in the right foreleg. The bullet had shattered the leg which had healed and fused the knee joint in one complete mass but the beast was in good condition and quite mobile. On opening up the knee I found the remains of the bullet still lodged there!

Yes John the one from the 15th. I was having a bit of him for dinner when I found it. Tender too what the Americans call "Back Straps" the roll of meat by the spine which I had always thought was saddle?

He has been an eventful beast :confused: now this pellet then when I was skinning him I slipped with the knife and stabbed it quite well into the back of my hand claret everywhere :eek:. An A&E visit entailed :oops:. First time that has happened :rolleyes: now have a nice scar on the back of my hand.

Yes John the one from the 15th. I was having a bit of him for dinner when I found it. Tender too what the Americans call "Back Straps" the roll of meat by the spine which I had always thought was saddle?

He has been an eventful beast :confused: now this pellet then when I was skinning him I slipped with the knife and stabbed it quite well into the back of my hand claret everywhere :eek:. An A&E visit entailed :oops:. First time that has happened :rolleyes: now have a nice scar on the back of my hand.

certinaly one you will remember for a long while bh.

That's for sure :rolleyes: as I only shoot a few deer a year unlike a lot on these forums I am fortunate that I can remember a most if not all of them :) there are so many that they blurr so to speak. Plus this one was on film no less. If it's possible I would like that on DVD so I will have less chance to forget him.

My best year was on that small patch down South when I grassed one every month from January to May then stopped as I had no more room for the meat, even giving some ( a lot of it actually) of it away. Of course I was not so fortunate when I started again in September and didn't grass another until November. The deer I encountered were either in an unsafe spot of the wrong sex/species. Of course I had a beauty of a Fallow Buck only 30 yards in front of me that I had sneaked up on and left him covered with scope tracks but it was 10 days before season opening and I never saw him again on my bit of ground after that. Closest I saw him after that was about 500 yards away on next doors ground.

air rifles need to be licenced like firearms.

Be careful what you wish for Skippy - the danger is that you tend to get more than you ask for. No reasonable person would want a nutter to be allowed to own handguns or semi-auto fullbores, but sadly the Westminster brigade always want to take it a step or two further. Sadly there is always some idiot ready to give them the excuse, and the anti-guns lobby get another victory.

I too have found shotgun pellets inside roe that I have been gralloching. I remember once pulling a liver from a doe and as it was getting dark it was difficult to see what the rough feeling objects stuck in the surface of the liver was. When I got her back to the car I realised it was half a dozen or so size 6ish pellets. She was a big doe, in really good nick with plenty of fat and appeared none the worse for her experience. There were no obvious marks on the outside or inside of her skin suggesting the pellets had been recently fired at her. My two points are, if some idiot is firing at a deer from such a close distance as to allow number 6 shot to penetrate right through to the liver, why not at least have aimed at her head or neck which would probably have killed her outright, although that is expecting a lot given the mentality of this individual........., secondly, with all the recent scaremongering relating to lead in animals and humans, several lead pellets in the major organ of an animal 'appeared' to be having no adverse effect on her. I accept however, that may have changed of time.

Back