“Tourte de la Vallée de Munster/Ealing"

Pine Marten

Yesterday evening I adapted another traditional recipe from Alsace to incorporate venison (instead of veal and/or pork) and as it worked beautifully, I thought I'd share it with you.

“Tourte de la Vallée de Munster/Ealing" (based on this)

Tourte_chevreuil_200815.jpg

Ingredients :
- 500gr each minced venison (roe in this case) and pork.
- One onion
- As many mushrooms as you like (I like lots)
- Two eggs
- Three cloves of garlic
- Handful of parsley
- Salt, pepper, nutmeg
- Splash of cognac
- Butter
- Puff pastry

Chop up the onion, the garlic and the mushrooms and soften in some butter in a frying pan. In a mixing bowl, mix the venison, the pork, the chopped parsley, salt, pepper, nutmeg, a splash of cognac, an egg, and then the onion and mushroom mix from the pan. Ideally leave this to rest for a few hours in the fridge to allow the flavours to develop and merge, but I didn’t have time to do this, and that’s fine too. We all have lives to live after all.

After greasing it with butter, line a deep pie dish with puff pastry, fill with the meat mixture, cover with a pastry lid, seal around the edges, cut a chimney or two into the lid, then brush egg yolk over it. Bake at 180 degrees for an hour, and serve with a green salad.

C’est tout, folks!

Last edited:
Well I like to make sure that my family know what they're eating, which in this case is obviously a massive gold-medal roe buck! It is lovely though and very easy.
I may have to try it, what sort of proportion do you recommend venison vs pork?

I went more or less 50-50 but that's just because I happened to have 550gr of venison in one freezer bag, and the butcher gave me 400gr of pork. I think you could go 70-30 venison to pork. It doesn't matter all that much I don't think.

I went more or less 50-50 but that's just because I happened to have 550gr of venison in one freezer bag, and the butcher gave me 400gr of pork. I think you could go 70-30 venison to pork. It doesn't matter all that much I don't think.
Thanks for that!

as i dont have a gold medal Roebuck can i use lowly Fallow as it tastes gorgus and theres a bit in my freezer,and can i send the pastry to you for the artwork ???

You can use any deer I should think. If you send me the pastry I can do the same I did for mine and create the illusion that it's made with a huge Master Buck of any medal class you choose.

In the interests of transparency, if I have to create medal class pastry lids, there is a fee. The following apply depending on CIT (Committé International de la Tourte) awards:
_ Bronze: £130
_ Silver: £260
_ Gold: £440.

Back