Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New old Rifle

New old Rifle

Just picked up my 1944. Husqvarna Model 640 in 8x57. Thought I'd post a pic. Will shoot it tomorrow if the rain lets up.~Muir

Muir, you will have to let us know how it shoots! Is this a swap or purchase? If it's a purchase what prompted it?

I ask only because i know the calibre but nothing about the rilfes.

Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Oh it's just to feed the Gunitus condition and keep the pangs at bay .

Husqvarna was Swedens version of BSA they made just about everything and their rifles are very well made indeed.

That's a 1935 vintage Model 46 Husqvarna in 9.3x57mm.

Flytie: Brit has it 50% right. Just gunitis; an affliction I suffer from. I also like Husqvarnas and I like the 8x57 cartridge. This was an outright purchase for about 150 Pounds in your currency. The 640 is a commercial version of the Model 96 Swedish Mauser and is distinguished mostly by the lack of a thumb cut in the left receiver wall, secondly by finish.

Brit is right: Husqvarna made just about everything in rifles and did so for a very long time. This is my 1940-built 9x57. Husqvarna marked but built on an FN action.

Husqvarna rifles were scarce as can be here in the states, especially the old ones, but someone got smart and started importing them. They won't be around forever and I want to get a few while I can. If one ever surfaces in 7x57 I'll probably sprain my wrist whipping my check book out! ~Muir

Brit & Muir, I am quite taken with the "Gunitus" complaint you both suffer from. A wonderful saying

Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Its quite a common condition, be careful its very contagious.

I went to the range with some cast bullets that I found in my stores. I didn't have tooo many of any particular variety and all the shots hit low as they were mild loads. Still, the elevation trend seemd to indicate that the rifle was zeroed for heavy bullets. These groups were at 50M with a foreend rest. I fired one at 100 but it was 6" low. The rounds grouped 3.5" at that range but they were on the target backer, not the target. I'm pleased.~Muir

PS: Shooting is the only way to put gunitis into remission!!
    Last edited by Muir; 24-04-2010 at 21:12.

There is a museum in the old factory at Huskvarna it has a very good gun section with all the models of guns they ever made. Its well worth a visit if you are ever in Sweden. There is also old gun making machines and a section for bikes, motor bikes, household and forest equipment. Its only about an hours drive from where i live.

If you want to get your gunitis going and come over all moist have a look at click on vapenauktion then Maj 2010 if you click on kulgevär you will get sporting rifles, shoud be some huskies there or click on Gevär and you will get old huskie military weapons includeing Hvs model based on the remmington rolling block. All sell cheap, about 7.5 Sek to the Dollar.

There are several years of previous auctions on there with prices the weapons made.

Nice gat Muir. Now all you need is some classic European glass.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Thanks guys! I hit that site, Jagare. Wow. Most of that stuff is rare here in the US: I could spend some serious money there!! ~Muir