Carrying a leather an tool

Scots_stalker

Hi guys. I lost my leatherman tool. And went and bought a new one. But I had to sign for it as it has a blade. It got me thinking. Where would you stand if stopped by the police and had It in the boot ?

Where would you stand ? Well you might be standing in very deep poo if you were stopped trying to enter a night club with that tucked in your boot. :lol:

Hi guys. I lost my leatherman tool. And went and bought a new one. But I had to sign for it as it has a blade. It got me thinking. Where would you stand if stopped by the police and had It in the boot ?

If it has a locking blade or a folding blade over 2.75" you could be in big trouble, unless you can provide good reason for having it in your car
If you were on your way to or returning from shooting then having this item in your car is a valid reason but if you are leaving tesco carpark after your weekly shop, just having it in the car "IS DEFINITELY NOT" a valid reason and would result in arrest if your car was searched by the police,
The same applies if the tool is in on your person.

ian.

If it has a locking blade or a folding blade over 2.75" you could be in big trouble, unless you can provide good reason for having it in your car
If you were on your way to or returning from shooting then having this item in your car is a valid reason but if you are leaving tesco carpark after your weekly shop, just having it in the car "IS DEFINITELY NOT" a valid reason and would result in arrest if your car was searched by the police,
The same applies if the tool is in on your person.

ian.

Absolute madness isn't it. Just a ridiculous waste of time and stress for 99.99% of the population who don't use knives for any form of aggression or defence, but just as tools...and we are now equally criminal. Where is the common sense in that?

I have been able to rescue two sheep caught in briars on two separate occasions, because I happened to be carrying my illegal Victorinox multi tool and could cut them free. It is illegal because the blades lock in place. I carry it virtually all the time, whether for rescuing the dogs or fixing the car, why should I be considered a criminal because some thug could use it and do damage? It is the damage and thuggery that is criminal not the tool.

Alan

Last edited:
You should not have any issues as the law on knives allows you to carry a folding blade less 3" in public. For larger knives used for hunting it is legal to carry them in public as long as you have good reason. Hunting would be regarded as good reason. It is always good to be sensible and carry knives in the sheath and not to leave them in your vehicle.

............................It is the damage and thuggery that is criminal not the tool.

Alan

Absolutely Alan, it is madness, laws are already in place making it an offence to stab someone but joe public forgets this and falls for the hype that it is the knife that is particularly dangerous not the user!!

Ian.

You should not have any issues as the law on knives allows you to carry a folding blade less 3" in public. For larger knives used for hunting it is legal to carry them in public as long as you have good reason. Hunting would be regarded as good reason. It is always good to be sensible and carry knives in the sheath and not to leave them in your vehicle.

You can carry a folding blade less than 3" in public if the blade does not lock.If it locks it is a whole different ball game it then becomes illegal without good reason

you can definitely be convicted for having a multitool with a locking blade in your pocket in the co-op carpark without good reason work in criminal justice and had an offender on an order several years ago for an offence involving a multitool

You can be arrested for carrying a baseball bat, in your car or anything else you can think of without good reason, country shows and shops are full of people selling locking blades , do you see a queue of police waiting to arrest people, just get on with your lives and act sensibly and you should have no worrys.
" Just because your paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you "

you can definitely be convicted for having a multitool with a locking blade in your pocket in the co-op carpark without good reason work in criminal justice and had an offender on an order several years ago for an offence involving a multitool
what were his previous convictions, in what context was he using said tool?

I had a man who was on parole working for me, who served seven yrs for carrying a blue holdall with a cucumber in it, he tried to get a interest free loan from a building society , by pointing the bag at the staff.

I can think of dozens of good reason to carry any of my knives or multitools at any reasonable time of day or night, there are obviously times and places where this is clearly not going to happen & would be stupid to do so, but that in my opinion is the responsible ownership of such items which any reasonable sensible policeman will recognise, as Taff says just get on with life.

I had a man who was on parole working for me, who served seven yrs for carrying a blue holdall with a cucumber in it, he tried to get a interest free loan from a building society , by pointing the bag at the staff.

Did he get the loan?

I can think of dozens of good reason to carry any of my knives or multitools at any reasonable time of day or night, there are obviously times and places where this is clearly not going to happen & would be stupid to do so, but that in my opinion is the responsible ownership of such items which any reasonable sensible policeman will recognise, as Taff says just get on with life.

Exactly, just like justifying your NEED for a second .308 rifle or that underlever you've always wanted. If you can't think of a good/plausible reason then you shouldn't be asking/carrying.

My friend said as long as its not in the front of the car at hand Ie in the boot its ok. I said that can't be right ?

well you have a number of offensive weapons in the car if it comes with a factory tool kit

are they going to challenge the screw driver and the large metal pipe too?
I was stopped a long time ago (innocent of any crime obviously) and I have a 6" divers knife in the car boot, I also had a a full tool box including several items with blades

having recently replaced a load of water pipes I explained why they were in the car.
no problem

the only time I can see you getting in bother for having something in the boot is they are looking for a reason to book you or you are already on the list of dodgy feckers

the only time I can see you getting in bother for having something in the boot is they are looking for a reason to book you or you are already on the list of dodgy feckers

I guess that is part of my beef about it. It is open to abuse if they are "looking for a reason" to book you. No longer are you innocent until proven guilty. Now you are guilty unless you can prove your innocence.

Alan

Sadly we all have been painted with the same brush and it is a very shitty one at that! we are more on the pc side than the good reasons as to why you may have one in your car ,!!!! I had one in the tool kit an old cooks knife and to use it I would have to stop unlock the rear buck open up the box unwrap it and then say grrrrr ? by this time the offender has done one with my car or wallet !!!!! or the old woman :idea:, in the good old days he would still be around to feel the longarm ,now it is the holder of such a vile thing :-| that will be the one in the pooo :doh: init !!!

Back