Leupold Windage Adjustable Mounts

EccentricJackal

Hi All,

While looking into the oil question I posed earlier, I found quite a few people complaining that the adjustable windage design was not reliable.

The main complaint seems to be the screws coming loose under heavy recoil, but no one that I've found has said it has happened to them, just that it is a concern.

Has anyone else seen this when used on .308 or similar calibers? - I have no idea whether this is classed as high recoil!

Might be a little late for me to be realising this as I have already ordered some, but it's still nice to know all the facts!

Cheers,

Ryan

Not a mans calibre:stir: but I've had them on my .243 for two years and after a few hundred shots the zero has never been affected.

Haha size isn't everything! Out of curiosity, what would you consider a man's caliber? :p

Great news, I don't want to have wasted my money!

I always use these windage mounts on my .308Win.

Set scope windage to mid position
Boresight, adjusting horizontally using windage mount screws
100m zero, again using windage mount screws then torge down to 60 in.lbs
Then loosen ONE windage screw, apply Loctite Blue and retorque to 60 in. lbs
Do the same with the other screw

Finally zero on scope.

There should never be a problem thereafter with movement on the mounts.

Hope this helps

These mounts were developed by Redfield, and used on the U.S. Army and Marine Corps 1903A3 sniper rifles in WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and innumerable shooting matches, so they are more rugged than you might think, by just looking at them. I have the Redfield one-piece base and rings on several of my 1903s, working fine.

Last edited:
Worry not, just crack on following pinkfoots instructions but use Loktite 222?

Mine have never moved.

Thanks everyone, I've ordered some Loctite (or the ripped off version that I could find on the Bay since no one seems to stock actual Loctite).

Old Man, is 222 the medium strength blue stuff? - I know with enough 'enthusiasm' you can remove even the extra strength red stuff but I'd rather not risk shearing the bolt!

Ryan

I have Leupold adjustable mounts on my .223 (rear) and they have been faultless in over 10 yrs. Use blue loctite if need be.

D

Haha size isn't everything! Out of curiosity, what would you consider a man's caliber? :p

Great news, I don't want to have wasted my money!

just prempting the usual anti .243 brigade regarding recoil etc

When I mounted my last two scopes I did not have to adjust the turrets at all after bore sighting using the windage screws on the rear mount.

No Ryan 222 is Purple and is the correct low strength locker for the thread sizes involved.
Clean first with Isopropyl alcohol or similar then just follow the instructions.

n_h, my idea was to set it up exactly central windage wise on the scope and bases once and for all and to then use a spare scope of the same tube diameter so it would drop straight in nearly on zero? Not had to test it yet.

Last edited:
Hopfully the sighting will go that smoothly for me nun_hunter!

Thanks everyone, I'll get it loctite-ed and be happy now that I've had some posititve reviews of the mounts!

Cheers Old Man, I'll get hold of some of the low strength stuff.

Thanks for the extra info Pinkfoot.

I'm late to this thread , but I've used them for over 30 years . They've never moved on any of my rifles , which included 375 H&H's , 458WM's and high velocity loads in various 45/70's . To be honest , I only use blue Loctite on the base screws . I just tighten up the windage screws tightly and leave it at that . I'm sure you'll be happy with them .

AB

Back