Reloading 243

LDM

Hi guys having a bit of a crisis of confidence more than anything not been reloading for a good time as most of my shooting was factory ammunition now I have a bit of time on my hands and this is my problem.
If I re-size the brass it is some what sticky on closing the the bolt.
If I use need un fired brass it slips in like butter and the bolt closure is effortless.
I have been trying to seat to the lands with a 87 grain V-max just taking up 10 thou a time till the bolt closes but as I said above I've seated a couple of heads one in once fired and on in new and the difference is noticeable though if I put both cases in my lyman headspace gauge there's no noticeable difference.

Your thoughts please

Last edited:
Has the fired brass been fired in your rifle or another ?
There are several threads on this subject if you do a search. The most likely solution is to screw the die in a little further so that the case is fully resized.
Have you checked the length of your fired brass ? If it has become too long, that could cause the problem too.
I am located just south of Peterborough and would be pleased to help if you want to call in.
Good luck.

Does it fit without a bullet ?

If so, then it would seem that you are already in the lands.

Those 87 grainers aren't fussy over jump, so I wouldn't worry about loading them close, just use the factory specs.

That's really good with the help of a couple of guys on here I've got to the bottom of the problem but I've had a look on here in the older posts and there's a number of post re the 87 grain vmax has anyone got a recipe to suit h4895 h1000

Back