A must for your next Deer Cert

Tim.243

With all the differences in opinion over how much a trainee should bring into his or hers next level of training....

One small sharp knife....

Tim.243

No lymph node inspection at all
haunch dumped into bucket with gralloch, then taken out
A lot of meat wasted (only took haunches, fillets and tender loins?)

yep, quite possible to do a quick job (if you're gonna do a crappy one)
just sayin

He's done it before...but the chap on the saw nearly had him splitting the haunch..

this guy from NZ is anatomically aware, i like his method

What concerned me most was the safety aspect of the guy with the saw , I would not want him a few inches from my prized parts with that saw !!!!!!!

No lymph node inspection at all
In the states they don't place any importance on lymph node inspection.

Tell you what Mike, you wouldn't like the way we dealt with the Elk/Deer last time i was over there, all butchered in the field.
But, we took ALL the meat with us, if you don't you can get a serious fine for wasting the meat.
Cheers
Richard

He's done it before...but the chap on the saw nearly had him splitting the haunch..

A neat job,with such a small knife. Just goes to show it's not the size rather how you use it !
Thanks for posting rick.

But, we took ALL the meat with us, if you don't you can get a serious fine for wasting the meat.

That guy must be bankrupt then
Unprofessional job and Un hygienic
Total disrespect to the quarry

This is how I do my deer even when back at home. No point in me keeping haunches whole as its only really me that eats them and even though I'm a greedy bugger I couldn't eat a whole haunch in one go!

Do it as you do, if nobody dies in a different culture far away... its all good and just their way.

Granted, but in a culture of tagging and individuals shooting very few animals in a season, (at least that's how it appears over there?) I find it odd that they're being so casual about butchery, you hear of guys over here getting every bit of rib muscle from the smallest munty because it's likely to be the only deer going in their freezer that year.... Just seems strange, that's all

difference between trophy and food, and there's very definite divides in the hunting community. Some collect for the freezer and a great source of meat while others collect bone and donate their meat (usually with a cost to the hunter) to the donation centres that then goes to feed disadvantaged people in the US.

Same everywhere, hunting for different reasons.

Last edited:
difference between trophy and food, and there's very definite divides in the hunting community. Some collect for the freezer and a great source of meat while others collect bone and donate their meat (usually with a cost to the hunter) to the donation centres that goes to feed disadvantages people in the US.

Same everywhere, hunting for different reasons.

in the case of the OP clearly not a trophy animal

yes but my point was there's all types, is the pride in the hunt, kill or food harvested.. not everyone is as bothered as the next person in each respect

Back