Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avrage body weight?

Avrage body weight?

Hi all,
    Just having a think and I was wondering what the average clean body weight
    is for your roe carcases?
    I have only just taken on a new bit of ground and we have only shot a few does but they are coming in at about 12/13 kg. We have what I think is a fairly large population of deer but I would think that if the weights are on the low side then maybe we need to take a few more and get the population down as I would like to put a good management plan in place.
    I am based in the south east.

I've just had a look at some of my records.

Yearling roe bucks and older (Head and feet on) are weighing in at around 45-52lbs.
    Yearling roe does and older (head and feet on) are weighing in at around 40lbs

However if your shooting dependants then body weight will be even less
    Roe Buck 31Lbs (Head and feet on)
    Roe Does 27-32lbs average (Head and feet on)

Are the animals your shooting dependants? If not, are they pregnant if not they may not be reaching a threshold weight. Are there any signs of disease. If the animals are under weight and overpopulated they are more likely to show signs of disease.

Hope this helps

Thanks Elma,
    I will see what we get in the next couple of weeks. I have let a few mature does go on the last couple of outings as I would like to have a better idea of the population and have spent a little more time on the ground before we starting taking too many more but I do get the impression that numbers are a little high just through the amount we see.
    Any body else with records of weights? It would be very interesting to hear about them.

My heaviest Roebuck shot in England was 55 lb.
    In Sweden 28 kilos [approx 61.6 lb.] Gold Medal Buck.
    Both had head and legs still on.

My view is that there seems to be no rhyme or reason for the differing weights for roe and the heads for bucks.

To try and explain, the roe I shoot are on a conifer plantation starting about 400 feet above sea level and rising to just over 1000 feet. The ground was mainly heather and rough grazing before planting.

Even when the ground was at its best for roe the average game dealer weight ( skin on, head and forelegs off) for yearlings would be no more than 20 -24 lbs.

For roe more than a year old the average gamedealer weight is approximately 30 lbs.

It is unusual to shoot a beast weighing more than 40lbs on that ground.

I help a mate who controls the deer on a farm which is about 750 feet above sea level. Most of the farm has sheep on it but the farmer still grows kale and turnip for feed for his beasts and barley.

The average weight for the roe tends to be less than on my ground.

Another stalking mate controls roe on about 2000 acres of recently planted hard and softwood trees on ground which was simply rough grazing for sheep and is about 750 feet above sea level also.

There are no farm crops availabe for the roe and no from of artificial feeding.

The average weight for his yearlings is around 25 -30 lbs with older roe weighing in to the dealer usually around the 40lb mark and often substantially more than that.

The same bloke shoots roe on a farm next to a big forest plantation about 200 feet above sea level and where there is is winter wheat and other crops available for roe.

Despite this, this ground only produces weights roughly the same as my ground.

All of these areas which are in Scotland could not be described as over populated with roe.

As far as heads go, not even a bronze on my ground. A surprising number of mature bucks still throw single spiked heads even though they are not going back yet.

The farm did produce a bronze which is the only medal I've shot otherwise average six point heads.

The central belt gives very good six pointers.

His other area despite its location,the feeding available etc still only produces below average six pointers.

Is it the wetter weathe we get, the general increase in roe numbers despite an increase in the number of people who stalk or what?

Breeding and feeding plus geological base seem to influence weights in different areas.
    On one Estate one year I shot 6 Roebucks with 5 of these being 51 to 54 lbs weight. [head and legs on.]
    The antlers of all of these heavyweights could only be described as very ordinary.
    At that time it took a good Buck elsewhere locally to weigh 40 lbs or so.

Now in Southern Sweden I have shot one Gold and one Silver head in a relatively tiny number of beasts when compared with the hundreds shot here.
    Over there it is normal for adult Does to have triplets, but of course feeding there is excellent and with swathes of gamecrop around each forest probably to try to keep the Moose off the roads.

Areas on a limestone base generally produce `heads` of a better class whether these be Red or Roe.
    My local mountain Reds are on a slate base and antlers are usually mediocre.

Some poor quality in all creatures is genetic and without replacement will never improve, with Deer species body weights and antler quality reflect this.

Totally agree with the above statements. A friend of mine shot a gold medal buck two years ago. It was in the region of 160 cic points he told me that the buck itself was very light in frame and yet it had thrown a fantastic head.

Hi , our average weight down here in devon is about 33ilb for does ,40ilbs for bucks ,feet and head off ,but the biggest i have shot was 5oilb dressed ,he was an old boy but small head .

Don't forget the effect that stress has on body weights and heads. Too much human disturbance or high population density and resulting excessive competition between bucks (especially where roe are concerned) can really reduce either.

A friend of mine shot a doe this weekend and with head & feet still on but liver & gralloch removed weighed in at 43.5lbs.

In my limited experience she looked a big animal compared to those I have already come across.

How does this compare with everyones average weights.