.308 ammo choice.

Hornady 150gr SST.. Best in my .308. Very accurate and do what you want 'em to. As has been said, Sako 123gr in my experiences, very accurate but very messy. But, then again if you are a hero head and neck shooter, that shouldn't matter. :scared: I might of put my foot in it a couple of times there..

No, really, give the SST's a go…

cjs
don't like your tone young man :lol: head and neck shots for me are close range work

Hornady 150gr SST.. Best in my .308. Very accurate and do what you want 'em to. As has been said, Sako 123gr in my experiences, very accurate but very messy. But, then again if you are a hero head and neck shooter, that shouldn't matter. :scared: I might of put my foot in it a couple of times there..

cjs

Factory Hornady 150 SSTs Superperformance were all over the place in my first .308W. 2" groups at best at 93 yards.

On the other hand 165gr SSTs Superperformance in the same rifle often clover leafed.

Factory 150gr GMX Superperformance were not quite as good as the 165s but were fine, usually within 3/4".

Alan

I shot Winchester .308 150 gr for years for big deer only, but they went to pot and I could not get them to hold zero.Changed to Norma fantastic used them for two years now no complaints. Wf1

cjs

I load 150gr sst for my 308 they are very accurate. I shoot roe and red with them they knock reds over no problem and i have never had a mess on a roe. There is people on here that have said they are messy in the past,but i have never had a problem.

Regards Kev

Start simple and cheap, and only spend more if you have to, by process of elimination.

Surplus military ammunition for practice.
150-gr Federal blue box.
150-gr PPU and Geco.
150-gr Sellier & Bellot
Then Fusion, CoreLokt, and Winchester Power Point.

Repeat with inexpensive 165-gr PPU, Federal, Remington.
Expensive Norma, Sako, RWS, Barnes, and Federal Premium if you are curious.

Apologies if I missed it in the thread anywhere but , has anyone experience of RWS Geco 170 grn softpoints in 308. I have used 105's in 243 for some years,with very satisfied results, and wonder about the 170's whilst waiting for my new 308 rifle to arrive. ?
Keith

Back