.308 ammo choice.

CO5332

Hi all,

i'm fairly new to deer stalking, but not guns. My dilemma is which is the best all-round .308 round to cater for everything, from muntjac to big red?

i am relying on the experienced members to guide me here; initial thoughts are Sako Gamehead 123g, or Super Hammerhead 150g.

Rifle gets collected next week! :thumb:

I used to use (before reloading) federal powershock 150gn, they pretty much knocked everything down moderately quickly with acceptable meat damage.

No such thing as the best all-round .308 round to cater for everything, from muntjac to big red. However you won't go far wrong with Sako 150 grn Hammerhead.

Buy some ppu 150gr SP ammo. If you rifles likes it then shoot it with confidence. If it looks like a shotgun pattern buy a different type of 150gr SP until you find one that works. The common theme is 150gr Soft Point. Big and slow often more effective. Remember it is where the bullet hits that kills not the type of bullet.

BE

308 is normally not so fussy with ammo. I use 150gr as a minimum and mostly 165-170gr. Most soft point or fused bullets will do the job, just find a cartridge that likes your rifle.
edi

I would advise against Sako 123gr for meat that you intend to eat (so not deer). It is accurate, and has a nice trajectory, but makes a really horrible mess, and can blow up without penetrating at short range.

A 'standard' 150gr, like the Federal Powershok, will work very well across the board.

If you're willing to pay a little more, the 150gr ballistic tips done by Federal and Norma are excellent. The both use Nosler BTs, and appear to be ballistically identical. They're wonderfully accurate and very effective. Despite being BTs, they don't do too much damage, even on roe.

I would advise against Sako 123gr for meat that you intend to eat (so not deer). It is accurate, and has a nice trajectory, but makes a really horrible mess, and can blow up without penetrating at short range.

A 'standard' 150gr, like the Federal Powershok, will work very well across the board.

If you're willing to pay a little more, the 150gr ballistic tips done by Federal and Norma are excellent. The both use Nosler BTs, and appear to be ballistically identical. They're wonderfully accurate and very effective. Despite being BTs, they don't do too much damage, even on roe.
never had this blow up with out penetrating at close range and the meat damage is a not much worse than my 243 shooting 100 grain Norma

never had this blow up with out penetrating at close range and the meat damage is a not much worse than my 243 shooting 100 grain Norma

I had it so bad on one occasion, we just cut the fallow buck in half and carried out the back end!

Having said that, I do know plenty of people who use it, especially for hind culling, and swear by it. It is very good indeed for head/neck shots...

With the proviso that you need to make sure it works well in your rifle, the Sako 123g is an excellent round. It is the only one I use.

Thank you :tiphat:

As you know, the rifle will have a preference as to which brand of ammunition it shoots most accurately.

My 308 is a Sako 75 that is currently with Mike having the rail fettled and it turns out to shoot Privi 150 grain softpoint ammo very well.

The good thing about the 308 is that it is one of the most popular hunting rounds in the world and most of the ammunition manufacturers have got it sorted so that there is no genuinely bad ammo available.

In your shoes I would try the privi, on the basis that it works well and is probably the cheapest and go from there.

Hi,

if you're into reloading or know someone else who is perhaps you could try these?

My shooting buddies and I have experimented with numerous bullets for hunting using .308 and one bullet that stands out (accurate, little meat damage & good exit for a blood trail) is 165gn Nosler Accubond.

The key is not to drive them too hard, in a .308 around 2650 fps.

We've shot Muntjac to Red with no problems and no complaints from the game dealer.

Hope this helps?

Hornady 150gr SST.. Best in my .308. Very accurate and do what you want 'em to. As has been said, Sako 123gr in my experiences, very accurate but very messy. But, then again if you are a hero head and neck shooter, that shouldn't matter. :scared: I might of put my foot in it a couple of times there..

No, really, give the SST's a go…

cjs

Back