Harkila alternative

deerstalker.308

Ok, so there seem to be some harkila haters out there, persoanlly I rate the stuff (clothing that is) but what do those people recommend instead? And before you jump at army surplus etc, that's not what I mean, I mean:
something equally hard wearing, not crispy goretex outers, something capable of at least looking at gorse, brambles or a barbed wire fence without falling apart.

something warm enough for cold days but that you don't cook in on a summers morning

something silent (or near enough)

waterproof, and I mean just that, not 'it'll keep you dry in all but the worst' etc... I mean waterproof or at least on par with harkila

i have swazi, and it's waterproof but it's a very different system to harkila, and besides, it doesn't like the afore mentioned thorns etc.

so so what are the recommendations please. Interested to know what the harkila haters have in their wardrobes that do all this? (This isn't meant antagonisticly, I genueinely am interested).

cheers

Ok, so there seem to be some harkila haters out there, persoanlly I rate the stuff (clothing that is) but what do those people recommend instead? And before you jump at army surplus etc, that's not what I mean, I mean:
something equally hard wearing, not crispy goretex outers, something capable of at least looking at gorse, brambles or a barbed wire fence without falling apart.

something warm enough for cold days but that you don't cook in on a summers morning

something silent (or near enough)

waterproof, and I mean just that, not 'it'll keep you dry in all but the worst' etc... I mean waterproof or at least on par with harkila

i have swazi, and it's waterproof but it's a very different system to harkila, and besides, it doesn't like the afore mentioned thorns etc.

so so what are the recommendations please. Interested to know what the harkila haters have in their wardrobes that do all this? (This isn't meant antagonisticly, I genueinely am interested).

cheers

Not a Harkila hater at all... I think its fantastic gear, pricey but fantastic... its the functionality of specific products under specific conditions that is the problem... Harkila make some great layering kit using Gore Optifade fabrics.. not the brand, or even the products that is the problem but the system people choose..

Lets face it.. most (including me) go for the Pro Hunter because of its name/marketing/image but in reality it isn't really the right kit for what we want it to do most of the time... I learned the hard way and costly way.

My gear is all now Kuiu from the states.. does everything exactly as it says it will and the fabrics are far more advanced than Gore now! not saying that's the best, there are alternatives... Sitka amongst them.. Swed Team and even Harkila themselves..

Its the system and a bit of thought about how it will really be used that is important, not necessarily the brand...

Not a Harkila hater at all... I think its fantastic gear, pricey but fantastic... its the functionality of specific products under specific conditions that is the problem... Harkila make some great layering kit using Gore Optifade fabrics.. not the brand, or even the products that is the problem but the system people choose..

Lets face it.. most (including me) go for the Pro Hunter because of its name/marketing/image but in reality it isn't really the right kit for what we want it to do most of the time... I learned the hard way and costly way.

My gear is all now Kuiu from the states.. does everything exactly as it says it will and the fabrics are far more advanced than Gore now! not saying that's the best, there are alternatives... Sitka amongst them.. Swed Team and even Harkila themselves..

Its the system and a bit of thought about how it will really be used that is important, not necessarily the brand...

Fair points, well made, guess I'm after some different opinions on what else is out there (and relatively easy to source) always good to open ones eyes to alternatives, I appreciate prohunter stuff isn't perfect, but it's pretty bloody good as a jack of quit a lot of trades, not many alternatives can compete with it On that level.

Country Covers as was now called Fortis. I have bought a smoak now need the trousers then will try out in anger. Good range of diffrent styles and colours and with new camo patterns

Some very clear requirements and to be honest I would say that we should break down the components of what you need to get to the right product.

1:Climate Control: Hot Cold, You need a thermo product.
2:Silent: lots of options, but membranes create problems achieving 1
3: Waterproof: What is waterproof: Fisherman storm jackets are 100% waterproof, but think thick plastic bags.
4: Tough, gorse brambles etc. Rules out most membranes.

Result = We have been searching for this too and we have a solution due in stock in about 3 weeks. It is called Loden a cloth, that is Pure Wool, tightly woven, and then boiled so it shrinks to about a 3rd of its original size. It is 100% breathalbe. more waterproof than many membranes, although cannot be 100% guaranteed at all, but those who know Loden, know what it can do. Thorn Gorse, it is so dense that it will shrug off most of these.

Price: High. but it is exactly what you are asking for. The Harkila Metso is made from this cloth.

Brands: Very very few companies weave this cloth as it is technically quite challenging to manufacture.

We will be stocking this in September.

Materials And Added Value

Any questions, please give us a call.

Andrew

Back