What a pig of a day for a bank holiday

norma 308

Well got soaked yesterday doing the rounds getting partridge release pens ready and got soaked first thing today checking phezy pens so after doing the pups I went back to bed for two hours :lol:
woke up and it's still wazzing down
still got 100+ acres of wheat to combine here anyone else with a back log of crops to get off
what a lovely bank holiday Monday especially if yr a farmer. today wouldn't be a good day to ask for a permission or for anything else for that matter :eek:
norma

Not seen my farmer boss for a bit but my mate said his boss was almost rabid as they still had peas to combine still the pigeon shooting will be good :D

I recall commenting to the missus while driving the A55 a few weeks back, "How it seemed a lot of crop had been taken off much earlier this year":eek:

Hello Doug

*****, isn't it.

We still have our wheat to cut. It's only 21 acres but the neighbours that do it still have several days of their own before they get to us. If we don't get it soon it may start to sprout in the ear :cry:. We were hoping to get grass seed in later this week but I can't see that happening now. At least I'm only a part time farmer and I can sit here in the dry listening to Pink Floyd doing my day job on the computer and still be earning.

Jim

Think yourself lucky Jim, got over 200acres of wheat, 50 of beans, and then 120 of linseed to do.
A bloody combine that doesn't really want to work properly and a grain dryer that still is not functioning properly.
All the pheasants are out in the standing wheat and beans, on the plus side I'm hoping to get out for a stalk tonight as it's too wet to do anything else.

They finished the barley in a break in the weather on Saturday came in at 14%, the contractor has a further 1400 acres to cut including his own. There's still a lot of standing crop around here... I feel for the boys I really do, my best mate has also just had reactors as well so stressful times...

We have been finished for over 2 weeks. :) There are a few advantages to farming in the SE, not many mind.

The shitty weather wouldn't be so bad if our produce was worth anything......

I even manged to check the pheasants this morning without getting wet at all

Hope things improves for you guys further north.

If I hadn't got pens full of birds and partridges coming I think I'd pay a flying visit mate but trivs going on holiday for a week and I'm in charge .....chips and Chinese for me then :rolleyes:
good luck with the piggies

two days of rain hell with the grandchucks ,drove back through a flooded Lincolnshire roads and fields under water .i dont think the polish cabbage pickers were too pleased in their lake either over Friskney .Mind its about right for the start of September

Id have offered you a lift cropping but for 2 main drawbacks..

1. Im in Lancashire
2. My little Massey 20E industrial will only just about spin up a 4.5 cube spreader :doh:

F.A.B.

Well I'm in Ontario hunting Black Bear as of tomorrow. Been getting on for 30 degrees most days last couple of weeks. It's nearly 10 pm and the sweat is rolling off me.

Just a counterpoint!

:)

Well i had a great day on Sat early am stalk saw 6 roe does all in wheat no bucks, in the afternoon I had a brilliant session on the pigeons started on wheat but with a combine, grain trailer, baler, fork lift and turner all working in a 20 acre field it was becoming difficult to shoot with a safe backstop. Anway moved to nearby barley stubble still unbaled and pigeon became sucidal, ran out of cartridges, shot 175 squibs and shot 90 pigeon so one of best days ever. In evening saw a different set of 6 does no bucks or foxs. Sunday rained all day and rained most of Monday.

D

Back