Starting on a 26 Nosler

Shot this group with it yesterday !

I didn't wanna go to 140 grainers but this isn't bad as long as it's not a fluke !

I wasn't able to run over the Chrony yesterday to many knucklehaeds at the range .

Hopefully I'll be able to get to the range monday or tuesday morning .

At the moment I'm bedding the gun ahead of the recoil lug under the entire chamber .

Well done, must be a great feeling to get those results

Nope, did in fifty. :D

take that barrel-burner haters!

long live epically overbore long range smiters!

Those three shots were numbers 45 , 46 and 47 . And I've fired it exactly 47 times . Nope I didn't do any sort of break in other then cleaning after every third shot thru the first 12 and after that cleaned every six shots but that's just because I was changing bullets every six shots .

Last edited:
Well I'm up to 88 rounds fired . Shot the Hornady 129 SST with 92 grains today and got an avg velocity of 3505 FPS , the Nosler 130 AB and Berger 130 VLD were both a hair above 3450 FPS . The Nosler 140 BT and Hornady 140 SST were bother between 3250-3300 FPS . All these loads are doing 3/4 MOA or better . Plan to give it a go again tomorrow . Wanna try the Berger with 93 grains and repeat the other four . I think I have some Berger 140 VLD Hunting bullets coming .

I'm just working up a new 280AI, 3395fps with a 120 grain TTSX, now shooting very tight groups. 60.5 grains of IMR4350.

Can't really work out why you would want to use over 50% more powder to drive a bullet that's 7% heavier just 3% faster. Doesn't sound very efficient and must make one hell of a bang!

I'm just working up a new 280AI, 3395fps with a 120 grain TTSX, now shooting very tight groups. 60.5 grains of IMR4350.

Can't really work out why you would want to use over 50% more powder to drive a bullet that's 7% heavier just 3% faster. Doesn't sound very efficient and must make one hell of a bang!
Oh wait , I don't remember asking you �� But then I can't fathom shooting a bullet that light in a 7-08 or a 280 be it the standard or AI . So what I do doesn't interest you , just remember the "interest street" goes in both directions !

Last edited:
Midway has Nosler 6.5mm 130 and 140 grain Accubonds on sale at the moment so I already have a few boxes of each on the way for the 26 Nosler and my 6.5-06 !

Blooded the 26 Nosler Saturday afternoon . Sorry to say it wasn't a shot at 250+ yards as the rifle was intended but rather an honest and modest 90 yards with the Berger 130 VLD Hunting bullet and 92 grains of US-869 powder set off with a Federal 215 primer . In my 26" barreled rifle the gun with this loads chronographs an honest 3500 FPS .

I've already checked the POI for the Hornady 129 SST and Nosler 130 AB both pushed with 92 grains of US-869 and they both hit in the 2-2 1/2" high at 100 yards like the Berger . So I'm all ready for the next one I just hope she's a touch further out there .

Well done mate. Can't fault that.

What was the damage like? I ask because the Berger Huntings are known to expand pretty rapid, you push 'em fast and it was a relatively close shot. It's about a worst case scenario for meat damage so it'd be nice to know from someone using a 26 Nosler rather than one of the gun rags saying "it will definitely be a mangler on game" despite never hunting with one.

Well done mate. Can't fault that.

What was the damage like? I ask because the Berger Huntings are known to expand pretty rapid, you push 'em fast and it was a relatively close shot. It's about a worst case scenario for meat damage so it'd be nice to know from someone using a 26 Nosler rather than one of the gun rags saying "it will definitely be a mangler on game" despite never hunting with one.
I've used that bullet in the 6.5-06 and the 264 Win Mag before and the inner trauma looked about the same in all three . I've shot deer with the6.5-06 at less then 40 yards with the 130 VLD and didn't think it was bad either . But you guys are generally a touch more critical on that type of thing

That doe took it all in the ribs and lungs . Both shoulders both hand and the heart were fine for table fare and of course the back straps an inner tenderloin were fine also . 75% of the time I'll knock the heart out but I was 3-4" further back then I usually shoot . And I like eating the heart from two or three of them each year . Can't say I'm a liver fan however

Another today for the 26 Nosler shooting the Hornady 129 SST pushed with 92 grains of US-869 . Sorry to say this one was at 45 yards at the boom of the gun and at 45 yards laying stretched out after the boom of the gun .

Hi 6pt.
How did the SST hold up at that impact velocity?

Yorkie.
The entrance exit and wound channel looked the same as if it had been shot from a 264 Win Mag or 6.5-06 . Going out Wednesday morning and will have it loaded with a Nosler 130 AB and Barnes 130 TSX both pushed with 92 grains of Us-869

Midway had Swift 6.5mm 130 grain Scirrocos on sale a week or so ago and I got a box . Loaded a few the other day with 92 grains of US-869 same as the other 130's I've tried . Took them and some Barnes 130 TSX to the range wanted to check the POI in case I knock one off with the Nosler 130 AB's . Anyway the Barnes is at the same POI as the Nosler 130 AB which is at the same as the Berger 130 VLD and Hornady 129 SST . I then tried 3 of the Swift bullets and they shot a decent group something like 3/4" but maybe 1 1/2-2" high at 100 as compared to the other four that are about 2 1/2" high at 100 yards .

Close enough for government work I suppose and based on the yardage I've been getting when I have this rifle with me a okay !

I field test these last three and I'll lay this gun aside until after season . Then I wanna try some of the 140 grainers at 300 and 400 yards . And then I can start in on them next season .

I reckon the next time we do a powder order I may as well go ahead and get an 8 pounder of US-869 , I'm already well into my third 1 pound can of the stuff

Nice, glad it's working for you. It's an interesting round like, maybe just a little overbore mind ;)

its ta good to hear that meat damage is acceptable for you especially at such close range. Do you know what velocities you're getting? Never mind, just seen previous posts. That's some serious speed with some nice high BC bullets. Would make a decent mountain rifle for sheep and goats.

Last edited:
Nice, glad it's working for you. It's an interesting round like, maybe just a little overbore mind ;)

its ta good to hear that meat damage is acceptable for you especially at such close range. Do you know what velocities you're getting? Never mind, just seen previous posts. That's some serious speed with some nice high BC bullets. Would make a decent mountain rifle for sheep and goats.
This rifle most likely wouldn't be good for mountains . That #4 Shilen barrel brings a bit of weight to the game . I think my 6.5-06 with a #3 Shilen would be a touch better suited for that ����

Back