barrel lengths

stevenb

well lads over the past few months i,ve been thinking about
getting my rifle chopped down a little but i,m wondering whats
the best length for my rifle . it,s a ruger m77m11 in 223 mainly used for
hunting and not target stuff but i want to keep it as accurate as possible
help me out here lads before i make the mistake .;)

Bought a Tikka T3 Hunter, from new its got a 19" Barrel allready threaded in .25-06, shot a bag of sh-t got it re-crowned 100yrds clover leaf homeload 120gr Partition (for Deer) and as good as one holes 75gr V-MAX (for foxs) I have read some where differant cal react differantly, i would speak to a companute Rifle smith or a trust worthy rifle shot had it done with your cal Rifle. Just my thoughts

thanks ladfs i,ve asked a few lads who do alot off shooting with 223,s and they
all seam to say any were between19-20"is good enough for what i,m looking for
so i was just makeing sure myself lads .

This is something I have been playing with since using a friends 260rem which had been chopped to 19", handled great. Anyway, I have had my 260 knocked back to 20.5", improves the handling and does not cost much velocity. Just acquired a 30/06 with a 20.5" barrel also, have to say I love it already.

I would get the 223 chopped at around 20".

Steve Kershaw is the man for this.

thanks for all your help lads i,ll let u all know how i go with this 20" cut it is and at the same time i think i,ll give my
stock a wee thinnning down

Barrel shortening is a fashion and will run its course. You are all fashion victims. Me? 271/4" and officially dickless. :D

Barrel shortening is a fashion and will run its course. You are all fashion victims. Me? 271/4" and officially dickless. :D

My Tikka T3 came from the factory threaded at 19" i tried to get a different barrel 22-7/16 "NOT AVAILABLE" i am not got it for fashion or am i "OFFICIALLY DICKLESS" and this is my polite forum answer to your statement.

Hmmm well I am trying to find out the cost of a new barrel for a "project" as I cannot afford the £500-£700+ often quoted here in the UK I am looking at alternatives. However it really needs to be a 26" finished length to make to most of the cartridges ballisitics. Other wise one might as well have a lesser cartridge ;).

What I am aiming for is a modern case that I can get fairly easily and will push a 7mm 140 grain bullet to around 3200-3300fps and will fit a normal long action, currently a 270 Win, so far it looks like it will be the .280 AI case (280 Rem Ackely Improved). The idea is to duplicate the performance of the .280 Ross but in a case that can be brought over the counter not have to be special order or specially made as the Ross is nowadays oh and uses the accepted , now, normal 0.284" diameter bullets. Ross bullets are of 0.287" diameter.

It should make a fine stalking rifle for just about anything :cool: with bullet weights from 115 Grn-175 grn. Not sure yet how the case will effect the magazine capacity but it might reduce it to three :-| the donor is a BSA Monarch 1st pattern with a sad bore and a knocked abut stock. The stock will be slightly reshaped and defined to suit me and re-finished probably with wrap around cherquering on the forestock :D which will remove any damage.

However it will all hinge on getting a barrel at a reasonable price :( to this aim I am even enquiring about finding one of the new P-H parts barrels and see if Knibbs had any 7mm BSA ones that could be re-chambered otherwise it looks like trying to import one :rolleyes: and it seems that is hassle nowadays. Oh well I have some time to to this it's not like it has to be done this month.

Back