If you were a collector

User00003

I've been thinking lately about registering for permission as a collector rather than just RFD and personal FAC. Purpose is I am looking to build up a 5 star Mauser based collection (my secret love affair,,Mausers that is), and having access to family who can help import from the US I can tap into both the US marketplace as well as the German over here of course.

I do have a few questions to those who know a few facts around this subject.
A. My FEO was adament collectors items must be over 200yrs old and never mass produced..I am not so sure he is right on that,,to say the least..
B. Buying from Germany with British RFD license from German business and from private sellers..anyone familiar with the rules and logistics of shipping/documentation, etc?

Lastly,,apart from the obvious core element of my desired collection, what ELSE would YOU add to build a true historical FIREARMS collection, ie. what SHOULD be in every 5 star collection?

Would enjoy reading any thoughts/input and of course your personal views on what firearms are true heritage pieces from across the globe.

Best

P

Give Bill Harriman at the BASC a ring. I would think he would be very helpful. Can't understand your fascination with Mausers!!!!! But just getting a decent military collection should fill up a bit of space.

David.

"My FEO was adamant collectors items must be over 200yrs old and never mass produced. I am not so sure he is right on that, to say the least."

P your FEO obviously doesn't know his arse rom his elbow. There's a section of collecting in the guidance to police document, pity that he wasn't more familiar with it.

Well if every collection was of items over 200 years old there would be no need for any licence, as the would all be obsolete muzzle loaders. 200 yrs is Napoleonic / battle of Waterloo era. There are plenty of collections of much more modern firearms. I would go straight to the home office guidelines and there is a section on collecting within that - and yes this does apply to Scotland as well, even though some don't think so.

Give Bill Harriman at the BASC a ring. I would think he would be very helpful. Can't understand your fascination with Mausers!!!!! But just getting a decent military collection should fill up a bit of space.

David.

Thanks for the input David, much appreciated. Yes, I already own quite a few on my RFD which I hope to have transferred to personal ownership/collection at some point. I have a list as long as my arm with Mausers I must own one day, but was also wondering 'what else' apart from Mausers of course.

My fascination with Mausers is not in them being fancy, beautiful, or intricate in design and construction as such, but more in their heritage, design and development along with impact on history. I love the simplicity of them, the ruggedness and the fact that the M98 is IMHO the perfect bolt action design created to date, and never to be bettered - a rifle which you can pin your life on anywhere in the world, in any conditions, and which you can service in the field should you need, simplicity, dependability/reliability and quality in its purest.

I would be looking at building a collection of cleanest examples of the major types of Mausers as they were issued / sold.

Thanks for the PM Heym.

Yes, Mausers not a problem..was also thinking pre '64 winnies, lever actions, mannlichers, etc..trying to build up a little list of things that would make a good collection and retirement saving, stocks and shares just isn't cutting it these days,,and hardly very exciting to sit and look at in comparison ;)

oh yes, I know of that bad boy alright..wonder if I can use it in the piperange at bisley? at least it would bring some light into the room for once!!...ROFLOL..
Kynamco can "accomodate" the calibre. I'm just not sure the supplied ear defence would be adequate.

One or two Winchester High Walls??
classic-2506-full-right.jpg

gh-1669-left-full-sm.jpg

K

Winchester 1985 in .303...
Probably a decent drilling
Model 1897 and 1912 winchester pumps
Early production Remington 870 Wingmaster
Genuine SMLE
Something obscure from Mannlicher...

Thanks for the input David, much appreciated. Yes, I already own quite a few on my RFD which I hope to have transferred to personal ownership/collection at some point. I have a list as long as my arm with Mausers I must own one day, but was also wondering 'what else' apart from Mausers of course.

My fascination with Mausers is not in them being fancy, beautiful, or intricate in design and construction as such, but more in their heritage, design and development along with impact on history. I love the simplicity of them, the ruggedness and the fact that the M98 is IMHO the perfect bolt action design created to date, and never to be bettered - a rifle which you can pin your life on anywhere in the world, in any conditions, and which you can service in the field should you need, simplicity, dependability/reliability and quality in its purest.

I should have put in the irony emoticon. As some people on this site can testify I am a bit of a fan of our old friend the 98 action

David.

I should have put in the irony emoticon. As some people on this site can testify I am a bit of a fan of our old friend the 98 action

David.

ah,,sorry David, now I got it! DOH! hence your previous references to Mike's 9.3 FN ;)

Best

P

Go for it!

The WWI long rifle has a real boom, rather than the sharp crack like a .243. I still hunt with my 1888 Commission Rifle, using 180gr RN at 2,400 fps. It has taken seven deer.

There are so many military Mausers, just in 8mm alone. I know collectors who just have Swedish Mausers, and just Argentine Mausers.

I have a dozen different Enfields, .22 and .303, from 1914 to 1950, and would need a dozen more to fill in some of the missing ones.

Winchester 1985 in .303...
Probably a decent drilling
Model 1897 and 1912 winchester pumps
Early production Remington 870 Wingmaster
Genuine SMLE
Something obscure from Mannlicher...

I've either had or still have all but the drilling . The SMLE is a must , and I like Ross Sporters as well as issue rifles . The 1886 Winchesters are beautiful rifles , either an original or the new repro's . When it comes to 98's , there are to many to choose from . An original WW1 issue Gewehr definitely , pre-war Oberndorf sporter in any model , a 1909 Argentinian , or any South American issue 98 carbine , a Syrian issue , an Israeli 7.62 conversion or a Spanish FR-8 ( I bought one years back for $ 75 Canadian , those days are long gone ) or one of the many rare variants that seem to turn up when you don't have the cash . Any WW1 or 2 issue sniper rifle will always hold their value , but some of them are getting quite expensive . The list goes on lol , only your finances will be a limiting factor .

AB

Funny this thread about Mausers at this time...
I just got a beautiful, as near as i can tell yet unfired, Mauser 71/84 11mm. It has a few minor handling dings in the walnut stock but is otherwise pristine but for where the preservative has set into a light shellac. It was made at Spandau and is dated 1888. The bore is beyond description. All matching numbers, of course! ~Muir

Funny this thread about Mausers at this time...
I just got a beautiful, as near as i can tell yet unfired, Mauser 71/84 11mm. It has a few minor handling dings in the walnut stock but is otherwise pristine but for where the preservative has set into a light shellac. It was made at Spandau and is dated 1888. The bore is beyond description. All matching numbers, of course! ~Muir

Nice ! How about some pictures ? And a Model 71 or 71/84 would definitely be on the above list as well.......... and a Snider ........ and a Martini Henry . This could get expensive .

AB

deffo a Martini Henry,SMLE,98K, and a Moisin Nagent<,spelt wrong knowing me>.dont forget the BAR and how about a nice Garand to fill the first cabinet.But if youve got the room for a 14 gun cabinet keep the suggestions coming:thumb:

Back