Wanted. Remington short action Bolt .222

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMcC

As stated above.
I have had my Remy .222 re barrelled but when it went for proof it failed.
The bolt face cracked so need another.
Anybody got an old Remy .223 or .222 they don't use, if the price is right I'd be interested.
Thanks.
Eddy McC.

There's a .222 barrelled action on guntrader for £195. Hope that helps. I'd buy the rest of the action and your failed bolt if you went for that option - looking for one to measure up.

Cheers,

Rory

I have had an offer of a Remy .223 less than 10 years old for not much more than that so am looking for something a wee bit cheaper.
Fingers crossed and keep on hoping :-|

How old is it Eddy? Has it seen much use?
I'd be contacting Remington and asking them if they'd care to sort it out. They've had a lot of bad press recently with product recall over triggers and may well sort you out with a replacement if you make the right noises!;)
MS

How old is it Eddy? Has it seen much use? I'd be contacting Remington and asking them if they'd care to sort it out. They've had a lot of bad press recently with product recall over triggers and may well sort you out with a replacement if you make the right noises!;)MS
It was a Christmas present in 2000 and has just had the barrel replaced so, according to Riflecraft, the replacement barrel may/would/could affect the warranty !!
So not looking good in that respect I'm afraid.
Had the barrel not been replaced it may well have been sorted under guarantee but then it would not have needed to go for proof either.

Why not use this opportunity as a means to have a blue printed action with an upgrade to a PTG bolt?

I remember your post about wanting it re-barrelled and your disbelief at the cost of a quality re-barrelling job. Well, buy cheap, buy twice.

I think the issue is with the action, not the barrel being replaced by which ever Smith did the job.
Either way, there would have been a possibility that had he continued using the original rifle as it was , the bolt could still have cracked, unaware to the user. The day it breaks when out lamping etc is never good.

As a possibility, the proof load MAY have been excessive the second time round since it passed proof originally ( the action, not barrel)

I remember your post about wanting it re-barrelled and your disbelief at the cost of a quality re-barrelling job. Well, buy cheap, buy twice.

Interesting comment, so are you saying the bolt failure was down too poor workmanship???

As a matter of interest, I had the same barrel fitted that was quoted by three different rifle smiths at varying prices from £500 to £900 so, as has been already said, the barrel had nothing to do with the bolt head splitting.
If I was like 20-250 and didn't have to worry about money I could have had the barrel fitted for £900 and still ended up with a cracked bolt face. :D

As a matter of interest, I had the same barrel fitted that was quoted by three different rifle smiths at varying prices from £500 to £900 so, as has been already said, the barrel had nothing to do with the bolt head splitting.
If I was like 20-250 and didn't have to worry about money I could have had the barrel fitted for £900 and still ended up with a cracked bolt face. :D

Spot on EMcc, but of course I'm sure it's going to be a "You get what you pay for" statement.

Bolt, action or trigger failures are nothing to do with workmanship unless there has been direct work carried to them in addition to the barrel. In actual fact the bolt failure in particular is common on Rem bolts.

I think also to clarify from what 20-250 said, (but a conversation for another thread im sure), is a "cheap" rebarrel done by whatever smith "dangerous" and an expensive rebarrel "safe" or is it possible that he chooses to decide what he wants as a wage (if self employed), all things being the same (barrel, thread, chamber etc)? Is his work still dangerous once passed by proof because of the his choice of wage and overheads?

I think that many of the UK's gunsmiths are on here on one form or another. Lets not discredit their work over a failing part which had nothing to do with their work. Instead lets continue to use them and keep the UK gun trade alive with the likes of rebarrel work etc.

At the end of the day the bolt failed. Let's take this situation that was given to him as a positive in the fact it failed in a controlled environment and not in the field. It could have failed with the original barrel just as easily. ......

Last edited:
Being retired I have a fixed income and not able to do any overtime at 'being retired' have to account for my money but if I was like 20-250 and could afford to just go for the most expensive, it would be great.
Common sense tells me that to pay over the odds for the same item is plain stupid but then I suppose there are a few like that about, maybe even use this site :lol:

I'm curious now, could you explain how the damage sustained to the bolt is down to poor or cheaper workmanship???

Well, it passed proof with the original tube on, then failed with the new one. Go figure.

Of course, go figure, it must be down to the cheaper labour. Wouldn't of happened if you'd fitted it it now would it!

And of course, there's no chance the last time it was proofed the bolt actually had a micro fracture in it as a result...course not, has to be the cheaper workmanship. :D

Last edited:
Being retired I have a fixed income and not able to do any overtime at 'being retired' have to account for my money but if I was like 20-250 and could afford to just go for the most expensive, it would be great.
Common sense tells me that to pay over the odds for the same item is plain stupid but then I suppose there are a few like that about, maybe even use this site :lol:

I have never used the most expensive, always someone I trust to do the work. No-one likes to pay over the odds, but you moan about the price of work in your earlier thread, then get this problem. I think it ironic.
You know nothing about my financial circumstances, but I note that even the suggestion that you obtain a £195 rifle for a donor bolt and sell your failed one and the rest of that donor rifle to a helpful poster was too expensive for you. Ungracious at best.

I have never used the most expensive, always someone I trust to do the work. No-one likes to pay over the odds, but you moan about the price of work in your earlier thread, then get this problem. I think it ironic.

So are you saying that this bolt failure wouldn't have happened if he'd taken it to someone who charges more???

Well I personally don't know how someone can put 2+2 together and make 6 but hay each to there own. The chance of that bolt failing becouse of a bad rebarrel is practically non existent. More likely to be down to metal Fatigue or a Fracture formed in the manufacturing process. But there again I would be careful of throwing mud as it sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back