damsons

berthaboo

Does anyone have any good alcoholic recipes for damsons.
I have found some on the land I shoot so I am going to harvest a few.

I did sloe gin a couple of years ago using a recipe off google and it was for to sweet.

500 g damsons into freezer squash gently after defrosting 1 litre good gin into container shake weekly for month then leave for 3 months. Taste then add some brown sugar say 100g shake and leave for week taste and decide if it needs anymore sugar repeat until it suits your taste. A lot of people just blindly add measured quantities without allowing for the sweetness of the fruit.
Good year for sloes but had to pick some as we were fencining and had to cut back the blackthorn couldn't waste although noticed they are bursting due to rain,rain more rain.
Lot of brambles and trying bramble whisky although hesitate to try last year's lot as last time tasted not ready yet.

Freeze overnight. 1/2 fill a large kilner jar. Fill with vodka. Agitate regularly. As long as possible but at least 6 months. When you can bear it no more, remove the damsons (keep them for a punchy pudding) and add sugar to taste.

With all these drinks, the trick is to add the sugar after you have finished steeping the fruits. The flavour comes out better in the absence of sugar and you can keep adding sugar in small increments until you get the levels right. Hard not to get pi$$ed while getting the levels right but that is half the fun. Don't use the cheapest vodka, don't use premium either.

Hedge

Good year for sloes but had to pick some as we were fencining and had to cut back the blackthorn couldn't waste although noticed they are bursting due to rain,rain more rain.
Lot of brambles and trying bramble whisky although hesitate to try last year's lot as last time tasted not ready yet.

Still waiting for my blackberry whisky to improve after 5 years. Getting there!..

make with a lot less sugar you can always add a little to taste when you drink it

if to sweet use a dash to make ruff Cider palatable ;)

Back