What do you clean that thing with?

A Guy Out West

I used to use Copper Melt, it was made in Canada and was the best stuff I have ever used. It was about $30 for a 6 oz. bottle but it came out to about .30 per cleaning as it took very little of it. I think they went out of business as I have not seen it for quite some time. Sweets 7.62 is good and I use it in my military rifles. I use KG 1 & KG 12 in all my other rifles and pistols, fantastic stuff. You can buy it on line. It smells like Windex and works like a charm. KG 1 removes the carbon and KG 12 removes the copper and or lead. What are you folks using?

Last edited:
M98 bore cleaner (Same as C2R). Makes for really easy cleaning and dissolves the copper.

I only use Forrest Bore Foam now - and a cloth to remove it after. You can leave it overnight with no problems, but a couple of hours is best,

C2R but I also like Forest Bore Foam., both very effective.

First introduced to forest foam by a friend who couldn't get on with it as is got everywhere. He didn't realise that you have to put the hose in the bore and not just spray it into the barrel from a short distance away. :lol:

I like KG1 and KG12, the latter is outstanding for copper removal. Will have to find local stockist as running low.

Montana X-Treme Bore Solvent and Montana X-Treme Copper Killer.
To be honest their Bore Solvent is so good I very rarely use the Copper Killer.

Yorkie.

Depends on what your barrel is made of. Some of the de-copper products are Ammonia based which is not good for stainless barrels. My barrels are mostly stainless so I use forest bore foam which works well. 15 minutes seems to shift anything.
MS

I patch of Hoppes #9. Wait 10 minutes. Dry patches.
If I don't want or need to touch the copper, a scant drop of oil on a patch. Push through. Dry patches X 3. Done.~Muir

I have been using Shooters Choice together with a touch of Kano Kroil for a few years and have never thought of changing.

Nobody on this thread is wrong with what they use - the main thing is that we clean our rifles, both bore and chamber.

Depends on what your barrel is made of. Some of the de-copper products are Ammonia based which is not good for stainless barrels. My barrels are mostly stainless so I use forest bore foam which works well. 15 minutes seems to shift anything.
MS

Its a myth mate stainless steel has excellent resistance to ammonia, in fact AISI 316 is the preferred recepticle material for the storage of ammonia in its pure state
416 barrel steel has almost identical corrision resistance propeties.

Ian.

Only when i can't avoid it. Generally I don't. :eek: ~Muir

Same here. I don't clean my rifles, only remove copper (before accuracy starts to fall off) and in dire need oil the barrel (when I know there's moisture inside).

Copper removal with jag and cotton patches:
- apply Butch's in two phases (as per instructions)
- clean with carb cleaner
- apply Sweet's 7.62 (as per instructions) until satisfied
- apply Breakfree, wait 15min, 2 dry patches

Oiling the barrel is just the Breakfree and 2 dry patches.

Oh, I try to check locking lug area every once in a while, clean as necessary and (re)apply very thin layer of graphite vaseline to bolt locking lugs.

Same here. I don't clean my rifles, only remove copper (before accuracy starts to fall off) and in dire need oil the barrel (when I know there's moisture inside).

Copper removal with jag and cotton patches:
- apply Butch's in two phases (as per instructions)
- clean with carb cleaner
- apply Sweet's 7.62 (as per instructions) until satisfied
- apply Breakfree, wait 15min, 2 dry patches

Oiling the barrel is just the Breakfree and 2 dry patches.

Oh, I try to check locking lug area every once in a while, clean as necessary and (re)apply very thin layer of graphite vaseline to bolt locking lugs.

When I want the copper truly gone, I clean the powder residue out and then hook it up to my copper deplating unit. In 20 minutes there is no copper in the barrel. I usually only do that when I'm preparing to shoot cast bullets.~Muir

Back