Snares

I don't have the ticket, at the moment I don't use snares. If that changes I wouldn't hesitate to get the ticket and start snaring again

Aye norma's right, basically a code of practice u have to follow and do a course to say u know the best practice.
All snares have to be tagged with ur own ID number

Got my ticket but don't use them that much, know a few other keepers who have been put of after doing the course bit more red tape etc, plus most of the old 'runs' where u always used to catch them it would now be illegal to set snares there, fences alongside ditches etc incase the fox gets hurt as snares are now non lethal.

I simply cannot support the use of snares. Even if checked twice per day - 11.5 hours trapped by your neck is not a humane thing to do to an animal in 2015.

I think it would reflect in a very positive light if the shooting community stood up against their use.

Well what do you propose as an alternative if they're no longer necessary?

Novice
There are plenty of alternatives. Whether they're better is a different argument. That said, I'm rather inclined to agree with Apache regarding the humane thing. A bullet between the eyes is the most human without a doubt. After that it's inhumane at various levels from almost instant death down to 11:30hrs tethered to a stake!

As a keeper I have have using snares for a very long time, four years ago I attend a NGO/GWCT snaring course in England, as a result of that course I have never caused unnecessary suffering or killed any animal with a snare, evrey fox I have caught since that point in time could have been released unharmed, snares are a holding Device and used correctly are a very valuable tool.

my advice to all people using snares is get your self trained it's well worth the money.

As a keeper I have have using snares for a very long time, four years ago I attend a NGO/GWCT snaring course in England, as a result of that course I have never caused unnecessary suffering or killed any animal with a snare, evrey fox I have caught since that point in time could have been released unharmed, snares are a holding Device and used correctly are a very valuable tool.
Not in any way wishing to get into an argument about this and I perfectly understand how snares work when correctly used but even a fox tethered for hours on end through a very cold December, January, February night/day is going to suffer to some extent surely?
It might still be alive after 11:30hrs but it certainly wouldn't have enjoyed the experience so therefore it must have suffered, or am I missing something here?

When LACS conducted a fox radio-tracking experiment, what method do you think they used to catch their sample of foxes? That's right- snares.

A properly set set snare will not harm a fox one bit.

You don't have a clue what foxes you really have around until you start blanket snaring- it's a real eye opener.

That said, for me, I don't find large scale snaring efficient. I use them now in a very limited and targeted role around release pens. With the huge levels of public access we have here at all hours of the day and night, I just don't want the hassle of anyone finding a snare caught fox or anything else before me.

It is very satisfying though- I always jump a little bit when I come around the corner and think "s**t, that fox is sat by my snare!" :D

Not in any way wishing to get into an argument about this and I perfectly understand how snares work when correctly used but even a fox tethered for hours on end through a very cold December, January, February night/day is going to suffer to some extent surely?
It might still be alive after 11:30hrs but it certainly wouldn't have enjoyed the experience so therefore it must have suffered, or am I missing something here?

All a am saying is it's a holding device, done correctly and within the law they cause no harm,
probaley a bit like you being hold overnight in a police cell not nice but you will be ok.
as I said every fox I have caught since that course could have been released unharmed, as are any badgers that get caught,
but saying that no keeper is going to set a snare in a badger run because not would be very stupid wouldn't it!

You're missing that all of those factors are at the discretion of the user- they can be avoided. Less and less people have time for winter snaring anyway, particularly if they have lots of shoot days.

When LACS conducted a fox radio-tracking experiment, what method do you think they used to catch their sample of foxes? That's right- snares.

A properly set set snare will not harm a fox one bit.

You don't have a clue what foxes you really have around until you start blanket snaring- it's a real eye opener.

That said, for me, I don't find large scale snaring efficient. I use them now in a very limited and targeted role around release pens. With the huge levels of public access we have here at all hours of the day and night, I just don't want the hassle of anyone finding a snare caught fox or anything else before me.

It is very satisfying though- I always jump a little bit when I come around the corner and think "s**t, that fox is sat by my snare!" :D

Correct croshair

I should add that I wouldn't want them banned either as they certainly have their place. However if I have concerns then our opposition definitely do. Be careful guys. They're out to get you I promise!

If you don't like them its fine but its a tool used by a lot of people who I doubt would agree with you
+1 have to say I don't agree with apache on that call ,don't use them a lot but got a few to put out in the next couple of days
norma

I should add that I wouldn't want them banned either as they certainly have their place. However if I have concerns then our opposition definitely do. Be careful guys. They're out to get you I promise!

They don't agree with us killing anything anyway so why not just give up killing things to stop upsetting them??
It's all very well saying 1 shot between the eyes does the job, it does but wot happens when that goes wrong? And it does (esp if ur shooting them between eys in 1st place) in many areas of upland/intensive commercial forestry snareing is the ONLY method of effective fox control.
I'd have far more concerns about some of the cowboys running about head shooting foxes at long ranges at night. How long will an injured fox be in pain for? For longer than 11 or 24hrs i'd bet

And as crosshair says thats how foxes are trapped for studies

Definitely don't want to give up the option of snaring, its a really useful tool for those hard to catch up with foxs. Dont use many but are used to good affect around my release pens when the birds first go in checked regularly they work well.

Back